USB Copy has deleted all my files

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
sundried

USB Copy has deleted all my files

Post by sundried »

Hi,

I used to use the copy to USB functionality on the backup option of TOS but for some reason it has been removed in the last few months. Needing to do a backup I found the "USB Copy" which I downloaded and created several tasks to backup the directories of my NAS to my external HDD.

It has deleted almost everything off my NAS.

One of the tasks completed successfully and I have a copy of that directory on my eHDD.
The next task failed because outlook.pst file was to large. It has deleted everything off the NAS and the eHDD is corrupted so I cant open it.
The final task I stopped as I realised what was happening so I stopped it. Again my HDD is corrupted.

This is a complete disaster my orignal data and now my backup are screwed up.

I've tried emailing support but have gotten no response yet.
sundried

Re: USB Copy has deleted all my files

Post by sundried »

F4-220
TOS: 4.1.21
x4 1 TB HDDs in RAID 10
Using Windows 10
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The backup task just read your data and write to your USB storage, this could not delete your source data. Please make sure you didn’t delete it by mistake. Is your tnas working properly right now? Can you login to your TOS without any issue?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sundried

Post by sundried »

Unfortunately it has, the directories folders remained but the files were stripped out.

I've had to send the NAS off along with my extneral HDD in order to recover the files, I've gotten most files back to the beginning of January 2020 and a few after. This is at great expense and I now have to sit an organise 80Gb of files again.

I've lost faith in this product but why was backup to USB functionality removed?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

is it possible you got the drop down the wrong way around when setting up the USB Copy task

and you selected "Backup from USB to TNAS" instead of "Backup from TNAS to USB" and set it to be Mirrored?

as i can see these settings giving you scenario that you describe where your blank USB drive was mirrored onto your Nas Hard drive thus deleting everything
F2-210

sundried

Post by sundried »

Possible - yes, probable - no.

I cant remember changing off the default and even so you have so select the directories you want to back up to the back up folder in which case I would have caught that there. The drive wasn't empty as it had been backed up to before using the backup to USB functionality so using mirroring it would have kept the last point the drive was backed up?
Penegal

Post by Penegal »

sundried wrote: 02 Oct 2020, 23:58 Possible - yes, probable - no.

I cant remember changing off the default and even so you have so select the directories you want to back up to the back up folder in which case I would have caught that there. The drive wasn't empty as it had been backed up to before using the backup to USB functionality so using mirroring it would have kept the last point the drive was backed up?
I have two HDD's connected to my F5 and this has happened twice in the last year to me.
I was running out of space on the RAID 5 array and I thought I would store some movies on the external drives while I save for the F5 10Gb version of NAS that TerraMaster advertises for sale.

No indication that anything was amiss was presented to me in any way until I opened PLEX and tried to start a movie that was stored on the USB HDD's and PLEX indicated the file was "Unavailable".

I opened the TOS interface and used the file explorer to navigate to the USB connected drives,... ALL files had gone, this means everything, folders and contents,.. I'm still extremely upset about this today.

The first time it happened, I thought maybe I did something?... then it happened again, though this time, I hadn't touched the NAS at all for two months, so it can't be something I clicked.

it as now got to the point where I dare not touch my NAS in case the Main array is also deleted!

I now have my new F5-422 and currently saving for 5xHDD's, until then, I dare not touch anything!

PLEX Media Server
1x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2, (Top Exhaust)
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T7-N, 2U (In) n (Out)
TP-Link TL-SG1016PE JetStream 16-Port Switch
F5-221
F5-442
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T9 3U, (In) n (Out)

I Want To Believe
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i recently experienced that USB Copy had been backing up to sub folders without any problems e.g. /Data /Music /Films on the USB for many months

however I recently installed CLAM Antivirus and the following day all backup tasks were set to backup to /

this obviously then caused each task to delete all contents of the USB drive to mirror its folder, I can guarantee I did not manually edit 8 backup tasks myself and changed its target, I also found that CLAM seemed to prevent the backups from taking place, it would create the folder structure but then not actually copy word documents etc

uninstalled CLAM, deleted all the tasks and set them up again its now backing up fine again, but yes certainly seems flakey and backups need to be verified regularly to pick up on issues like this
F2-210

sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i stand corrected its done it again !!!!! all my data is wiped off the USB and seems to have a merge of folders

backup destination is showing as USB # /

I have to now create the folders again on the USB and then edit the backup tasks to those folders

interesting that I have edited the tasks it shows USB #1 /Data, so its as if it seems not identify the USB that's connected to the nas drive (I don't swap them, however it is on a smart switch to turn on and off, to protect the data)

its worked fine since august and only just failed since 4.2.07 upgrade
F2-210

TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,

When you create a backup task from TNAS to USB,if the target folder on the right side of the pop-up window is not selected, and directly click to confirm, the backup task target will display USB # /.
During backup, a folder will be automatically created on the USB to store the backup files.
If you cannot see the folder option in the selection pop-up window, please click usbshare1 on the right, as shown in the figure below:
bbb.png
ccc.png
Have a good day!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)