File recovery

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
loopylion

File recovery

Post by loopylion »

Hi y'all. Though I’m very experienced at managing a network of computers and storage devices, I am new to the world of NAS storage devices. So I now have a Terramaster TNAS F5-221, with five 4Tb Seagate ST4000NE001 IronWolf Pro hard drives in a RAID 5 configuration. I access the device via a Mac Pro and a MacBook Pro.

Having logged onto the system via my web browser, I wanted to move a large folder, with all its files and subfolders, from within one shared folder into its own, as this would seem to be the best way of managing sharing permissions. Given the lack of a copy or move function in the TOS version 4.2's File Services, I opened the folder and cut the contents and tried to place them in the new destination shared folder. As this was happening, I tried to delete the original folder, believing that cutting and pasting would continue unaffected. Wrong! This proved not to be the case and the system deleted around three quarters of the contents – around 3Gb of data – as it was being placed until I cancelled the delete command.

I’ve not had the device for very long, so I’ve not got round to mapping an backup and all that sort of thing, so how would any of you recommend that I recover the data? Because I assume it is still be on the hard drives. I appreciate this is the request of a novice, but your advice and thoughts would be appreciated.

While I'm on, I also think it would be good if there was a move and/or copy function added to the operating system. To me, this is a basic requirement of any file system. I also notice that if I copy large groups of files from one shared folder to another using smb or aft on one of my Macs, TOS has a tendancy to mangle a small but significant number of the filenames, reducing them to a series of characters, plus one tilda. Again, avoiding filename corruption is surely an essential part of safeguarding data integrity and should be addressed in future versions of TOS as a matter of urgency. What d'ya reckon?

Thanks in advance.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: File recovery

Post by TMSupport »

Hi Loopylion, please advise your current TOS version in return. The files deleted on TOS webpage should have gone into Recycle bin on TOS desktop. Please check and restore from there.
As for the suggested move function, it will be added to the list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Lewis-H

Re: File recovery

Post by Lewis-H »

Recover My Files download instructions
Click the download button to begin the download.
If possible, save then install the Recover My Files installation program on a drive other than the one on which your files were lost.
Run Recover My Files, search your drive and preview the files found in the results screen.
NOTE: Software will only run on Windows PC's