Auto Backups from remote windows PC to Nas

Discuss understanding the various backup tools available and choosing the one that's right for you
doctorase

Auto Backups from remote windows PC to Nas

Post by doctorase »

I've bought a NAS to backup files from my office windows PC every day to the NAS in my home. The principal problem it's that i have connected the VPN succesfully, but i can't access to NAS. I ping the local IP of NAS and no response. Then i was thinking in other ways of backups like rsync, but i don't know any free program to remote backup without an VPN. Any idea?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Auto Backups from remote windows PC to Nas

Post by TMSupport »

Please advise your TNAS model number and current TOS version in return.
Did you set the computer as VPN server?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

AOMEI backupper is a good app to backup your windows file to your tnas. To fullfill a remote backup, VPN is one option, but you have to connect your TNAS and your computer to a same VPN server. To connect your TNAS to VPN server, please refer to following settings page.
vpn.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
doctorase

Post by doctorase »

TMSupport wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 15:39 Please advise your TNAS model number and current TOS version in return.
Did you set the computer as VPN server?
My TNAS model is F2-221 and the TOS version is 4.1.27-2006301044.
I set NAS like server and computer like client
doctorase

Post by doctorase »

TMroy wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 23:35 AOMEI backupper is a good app to backup your windows file to your tnas. To fullfill a remote backup, VPN is one option, but you have to connect your TNAS and your computer to a same VPN server. To connect your TNAS to VPN server, please refer to following settings page.
vpn.png
I set TNAS like VPN Server and the OpenVPN connect well, but the problem it's that i can't access/ping to NAS from outside the network with OpenVPN connected. I've tested AOMEI but if PC can't find TNAS trought VPN i can't do any backup.

Which other options i have on windows If finally I can't setup correctly the VPN?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Do you public IP address?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
doctorase

Post by doctorase »

TMSupport wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 12:08 Do you public IP address?
What exactly do you mean?
When I connect the VPN the client has the public IP of the server
doctorase

Post by doctorase »

A friend who is a network expert has determined that the error is the NAS, the VPN works correctly but the Nas blocks the connection when the request is made to the local IP address. Does not block via DDNS

Any idea how to get the blockage out? Is it a problem with my particular NAS, OS version or configuration?
We've done some perimeters rules for the NAS firewall, but it doesn't solve anything.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Is it ok to let our technicial remotely check this VPN issue ? Please send an email to support(a)terra-master.com to confirm it.
Lewis-H

Post by Lewis-H »

To back up PC data with Windows 7:

Follow the instructions in this Microsoft Support article to launch Backup and Restore and configure automatic backup from Windows 7 to your DiskStation.
When you are prompted to select a location to save your backup, click Save on a network to locate your DiskStation on the local area network.

In the window that appears, enter \\Synology_Server_Name\Shared_Folder_Name or \\Synology_Server_IP\Shared_Folder_Name, and then authorize using the credentials of a DSM user who has the "Read/Write" privilege to the specified shared folder.

Click OK and follow onscreen instructions to complete the setup.
Note:

Since Windows7's Backup and Restore will create a system image along with your backup data on the DiskStation, it might take a while to create the first backup. Subsequent backup tasks will take much less time because only new or changed information will be added to the backup data.

Return to “How to back up? Which one is right for me?”