F4-210 cannot update to new OS nor can use any backup local app?

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
theshinyknight

F4-210 cannot update to new OS nor can use any backup local app?

Post by theshinyknight »

I just got a F4-210, and so far I set it up no problem; but now I can't do anything with it.

Got no way to use terminal on the web interface, but I can SSH on it; which is not ideal. There is a text editor you can download as app but it does not show on the desktop. There are no backup apps to do a local backup (like from disk 1, 2 and 3 to disk 4) because it seems that the duplo backup app is not available in the app download page; and I cannot update to the newer version of the OS, since the latest version seems to be 4.

Is this because the device is not supported anymore? The store said that it is fully supported, so is that the case or not? Thanks.
crisisacting

Re: F4-210 cannot update to new OS nor can use any backup local app?

Post by crisisacting »

The ARM based 210 series hasn't received an update to TOS 5 yet; there's a desktop ARM based 211 series that's upcoming (similar to the rackmountable U4-211) which has TOS 5, so there's a chance it gets backported to the older 210 series.

There hasn't been an official statement regarding no TOS 5 on these 210 series, just the following from this thread (viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3254&start=10):
TMroy wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 17:53 As of now, TerraMaster has not officially confirmed that the 210 ARM series products cannot be updated to TOS 5. We're developing TOS 5 on a brand new ARM platform, and when it's done, we'll try to port it to the 210 series if possible. Obviously, this will take more time, so please be patient.
theshinyknight

Post by theshinyknight »

Thanks, so I am stuck with V4 for the time being then.

How do I get access to other beta apps? They do not show on my app center. I see other videos online that have the same model I have but an earlier version of the OS, that has a lot of beta apps, that do not show up on my device
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

theshinyknight wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 09:09 How do I get access to other beta apps? They do not show on my app center. I see other videos online that have the same model I have but an earlier version of the OS, that has a lot of beta apps, that do not show up on my device
There's an option to show beta versions in the settings of App Center
rapcat

Post by rapcat »

theshinyknight wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 07:54 I just got a F4-210, and so far I set it up no problem; but now I can't do anything with it.

Got no way to use terminal on the web interface, but I can SSH on it; which is not ideal. There is a text editor you can download as app but it does not show on the desktop. There are no backup apps to do a local backup (like from disk 1, 2 and 3 to disk 4) because it seems that the duplo backup app is not available in the app download page; and I cannot update to the newer version of the OS, since the latest version seems to be 4.

Is this because the device is not supported anymore? The store said that it is fully supported, so is that the case or not? Thanks.
I found myself in the same situation as you. Finally I made my script with rclone from unofficial apps and I got a custom automated backups system. I think is the only way to work with TOS4 because it's so limited. Need to spend a lot of time on it.
theshinyknight

Post by theshinyknight »

crisisacting wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 10:26
theshinyknight wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 09:09 How do I get access to other beta apps? They do not show on my app center. I see other videos online that have the same model I have but an earlier version of the OS, that has a lot of beta apps, that do not show up on my device
There's an option to show beta versions in the settings of App Center
That does not show any app for some reasons in the latest version of the OS4; I just see PHP in the beta section... All the other apps that should be there are not there and I do not understand why. Can't even downgrade to the previous OS for security reasons at this point.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

theshinyknight wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 14:59 That does not show any app for some reasons in the latest version of the OS4; I just see PHP in the beta section... All the other apps that should be there are not there and I do not understand why.
A reason some apps may not appear is due to no ARM compliant version existing (which is what your 210 series device is based upon).

If it's not available through the app center, you could use outkastm's unofficial TMNAS community (https://tmnascommunity.eu/) to find compatible apps, which you can install manually.
Drine

Post by Drine »

It means that only TOS 5 can help us access much.
Gunn

Post by Gunn »

rapcat wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 16:19
theshinyknight wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 07:54 I just got a F4-210, and so far I set it up no problem; but now I can't do anything with it.

I found myself in the same situation as you. Finally I made my script with rclone from unofficial apps and I got a custom automated backups system. I think is the only way to work with TOS4 because it's so limited. Need to spend a lot of time on it.
I too just purchased an F4-210 and hae it all setup with data. Looking to make a backup elsewhere on my network (to a shared folder on a USB driver plugged into a router). So if we are so limited in the F4-210, and it isn't getting updated, which model is preferred? I can hurry up and return this thing before my 30 days is up, and get one that will be well supported into the future.

Thanks,
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Gunn wrote: 02 Aug 2023, 06:18… just purchased an F4-210 and have it all setup with data. Looking to make a backup elsewhere on my network (to a shared folder on a USB driver plugged into a router).
Rsync is already built-in on TOS so as long as that shared folder via USB on your router is using SMB or NFS as its protocol, you could configure backup to transfer to that, over your network, during off-peak hours.