Restoring a duple backup.

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
Driften

Restoring a duple backup.

Post by Driften »

I have two NAS both running 5.0.176. I used Duple backup to do incremental backups of /home to the /Volume1/Backups/home.duple on the backup NAS.

I'm having issues with the primary NAS and want to restore the backup to /home on the backup NAS. It shows in Duple Backup Vault on the backup NAS. The problem is the Duple Backup app was never used from the backup NAS so when I try to add a restore job there is "no valid data" and when I try create task the only mode available is "Restore from an existing task". If I go next from there it doesn't let me fill in the source of restore, the restored destination or anything else other than a name for the task.

I am worried if I create a new backup task for /home on the backup NAS I might overwrite the backups that I'm trying to restore.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Restoring a duple backup.

Post by TMSupport »

There are client and server for duple backup. Your primary nas is the client. When you create a backup task, your backup nas (that is, the server) will have the backup information of the task. Now you can only create a restore task on the client of the primary nas, and restore it with the backup task of the (existing task restore) /home directory. If the backup task on your primary nas is damaged, you will not be able to restore the data on your primary nas. Since the app is still in beta version, the function of "restore from existing storage location" will be updated in the future to restore completely damaged nas file data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
eztrigger

Post by eztrigger »

I've been wondering this exact question today. When will
TMSupport wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 17:46 the function of "restore from existing storage location" will be updated in the future to restore completely damaged nas file data.
happen? I see Duple is still in Beta as of today. Is there an approximate date for full release?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The feature is still under development.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
slayer

Post by slayer »

C'est impressionnant, comment ont peu développé un nas avec autant d'application buggué ou incomplet ou toujours en bêta

ce serait bien que terra master investisse dans de vrai développeur, je regrette vraiment mon achat !
dhfh522

Post by dhfh522 »

Agreed, software quality could be improved in several areas like storage management utilities, GUI and OS stability. Most of the addon applications have serious shortcomings or bugs.
Setup:
TOS 5.1.37
T9-423(16GB)
1 x Intel 1Tb 670P Hyper-Cache
9 x 3TB HGST Ultrastar 7K4000
8 - members in TRaid array, 1 - Hot Spare
1 Storage pool with 2 Volumes
Backup
D5-300C
4x14TB ST14000NM0018 in TRaid array
1 Storage pool with 1 volume
jimmyfox1

Post by jimmyfox1 »

Driften wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 13:27 I have two NAS both running 5.0.176. I used Duple backup to do incremental backups of /home to the /Volume1/Backups/home.duple on the backup NAS.

I'm having issues with the primary NAS and want to restore the backup to /home on the backup NAS. It shows in Duple Backup Vault on the backup NAS. The problem is the Duple Backup app was never used from the backup NAS so when I try to add a restore job there is "no valid data" and when I try create task the only mode available is "Restore from an existing task". If I go next from there it doesn't let me fill in the source of restore, the restored destination or anything else other than a name for the task.

I am worried if I create a new backup task for /home on the backup NAS I might overwrite the backups that I'm trying to restore.
I understand your concern about potentially overwriting the backups you're trying to restore. To avoid any unintended consequences, it's important to proceed with caution. Here are some steps you can take to restore the backups safely:

Backup the existing backup files: Before proceeding with any changes, it's a good practice to make a backup of the existing backup files on the backup NAS. This step ensures that you have an additional copy in case anything goes wrong during the restore process.

Verify the backup files: Double-check the contents of the "Duple Backup Vault" on the backup NAS to ensure that the backups you want to restore are present and intact. Confirm that the backup files for the "/home" directory exist and are accessible within the vault.

Contact Duple Backup support: Reach out to the support team of the Duple Backup application for guidance on how to restore backups when the backup was not created from the same NAS. They may have specific instructions or recommendations for this scenario.

Consider an alternative restore method: If you're unable to restore the backups directly using the Duple Backup application, you might explore alternative methods. For example, you could manually copy the backup files from the "Duple Backup Vault" to a temporary location on the backup NAS and then restore them to the appropriate destination on the primary NAS.

Remember to exercise caution and carefully follow any instructions or recommendations provided by the Duple Backup support team or the documentation associated with the application. Safeguarding your data by having backups of the backup files is crucial to ensure you can recover your data if something goes wrong during the restore process.