Zipped backup from NAS to attached USB drive?

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
Peterparker21

Zipped backup from NAS to attached USB drive?

Post by Peterparker21 »

Hello Folks,

Anyone know how I can backup the files on my NAS to a USB drive that is plugged into it as a Zipped file to save space on the USB?

My problem is that I have 8TB of files on the NAS and only a 6TB USB. There is a Backup to USB application but it doesn't zip. The file manager sayes it can zip but every time I try it just makes a small zip folder. I am not sure if any of the other applications that are available can do what I need or if I am using file manager wrong.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Zipped backup from NAS to attached USB drive?

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Zip compression is only for folders, so you need to compress the folder where the file is located.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
krystinjaynes

Post by krystinjaynes »

Thanks! It was a lot of work!
farnandez

Post by farnandez »

Peterparker21 wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 18:34 Hello Folks,

Anyone know how I can backup the files on my NAS to a USB drive that is plugged into it as a Zipped file to save space on the USB?

My problem is that I have 8TB of files on the NAS and only a 6TB USB. There is a Backup to USB application but it doesn't zip. The file manager sayes it can zip but every time I try it just makes a small zip folder.I am not sure if any of the other applications that are available can do what I need or if I am using file manager wrong.
In the case of multimedia this is really true. But not all users use NAS only for multimedia. Lets suppose you have work or personal data you want to backup (source code, documents and so on). In such cases the compression is really welcomed. In the current QTS I really miss such feature when making backup to usb. Instead I utilize acronis true imaged to READ such files from NAS and then write them back compressed. This would be so much easir if the backup station supported some kind of compression preferrably with password protection.