USB Copy copies admin user's files only

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
gfoyle

USB Copy copies admin user's files only

Post by gfoyle »

I can't back up non-admin user's files using USB Copy
I logged in to the F4-220 (using TNAS PC) as the admin user and installed the USB Copy app.
I can set up a task and copy the admin user's files to an external device.
I can NOT specify other (non-admin) users directories to export.
How can I back up non-admin user's files using USB Copy?

Is this a permissions issue? Here are my users so far:

[admin@TNAS-006nnn ~]$ id admin;id carl; id Testuser1
uid=3(admin) gid=3(admin) groups=3(admin),4(allusers),1000(TimeMachine)
uid=5(carl) gid=4(allusers) groups=4(allusers),1000(TimeMachine)
uid=2(Testuser1) gid=4(allusers) groups=4(allusers),1000(TimeMachine)
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Re: USB Copy copies admin user's files only

Post by TMnorah »

Hello!
USB Copy cannot copy files of non-administrator users. You can set a non-administrator user as an administrator and then log in as the user to copy files. Or copy the files of non-admin users to the shared folder and then perform USB copy.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
gfoyle

Post by gfoyle »

Are there any plans to enable multi user backups in USB Copy? (at least when the USB target is using ext4)

Do your other applications for backing up to cloud services have the same limitation (they'll back up only the admin user)?

To me this seems a necessary feature for anyone running a NAS with more than one user. I'm centralizing user NAS directories, so I should be able to centralize backups of the NAS, also.

Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for your feedback, it has been added to our list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
gfoyle

Post by gfoyle »

TMnorah wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 13:58 Hello!
USB Copy cannot copy files of non-administrator users. You can set a non-administrator user as an administrator and then log in as the user to copy files. Or copy the files of non-admin users to the shared folder and then perform USB copy.
TMnorah made the above suggestion. How exactly would I set a non-administrator user as administrator? I've set the permissions of this non-admin user to be in the admin group, and with these permissions:
Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 5.09.57 PM.png

Logged in to TNAS PC as the nonroot user, I can't see or install the USB Copy app.
Logged in to TNAS PC as the admin user, I can only select admin user-owned directories:
Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 5.17.10 PM.png
Is there a way to accomplish this using the TNAS's CLI instead?

Unless I'm missing something, it's looking like the TNAS is only useful as a single-user (admin) NAS, if you want to automate external backups.
Does anyone know if the other TNAS cloud backup apps have the same restrictions? (admin user's directories only?)

Thanks for any suggestions
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

If you want to add users to the admin user group, go to Control Panel > Privilege > User Groups, edit the admin user group, and select the user to add to the admin user group.
When using USB Copy, admin user can only select its own home directory. If you want to back up the directories of other administrator users, log in with another user and then back up.
The feature that the admin user can back up the home directories of multiple users will be available in TOS5.