Backup to external USB drive?

The brand-new USB Copy not only provides common backup features, in order to realize offline backup and defend against threats from external networks, TerraMaster engineers have also additionally developed the USB auto-hide feature.
preikin

Backup to external USB drive?

Post by preikin »

I'm new to using freenas. I'm in the process of setting up 2 freenas servers. I have 1 running and loaded data onto it. To provide extra protection from losing data, I would like to backup the data I stored on it to an external USB drive and keep it offsite.

I thought maybe I could do this with rsync. Is that what would be recommended? If I should use rsync then how do I go about mounting the usb drive? Currently when I plug it in, it shows up in the storage tab of the web gui. Does that indicate it automatically mounted? Should I format it as ext4? It is ntfs right now.

I've looked everywhere and can't find a guide on rsync to a usb drive with freenas. I would like to be able to view the files on any computer not just freenas. That's why I am trying to use something other than zfs snapshots onto a usb drive which is something I found a guide for.