TNAS F5-221 shuts down on its own when copying files

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
sanctimon

TNAS F5-221 shuts down on its own when copying files

Post by sanctimon »

For the 3rd day in a row, my TNAS F5-221 shuts down while I am copying files into it from a Network client.

I am copying using Nextcloud (okm) which is running on the TerraMaster.

Just before the device goes down, I do get repeated CPU Utilization has exceeded 90% messages.

I am getting very disappointed with this situation. Any help diagnosing and hopefully fixing this will be welcome, as with this version of linux, I am not even sure where to begin checking log files.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TNAS F5-221 shuts down on its own when copying files

Post by TMroy »

May i know which TOS version running in your TNAS?
Please also check if the fan is working properly, are your hard drives overheating? If you do not copy data, the device will not shut down by itself?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sanctimon

Post by sanctimon »

Hello,

The version is 4.2.18-2110301149 (I have only had the machine for less than a month).

See screenshot on fan settings. I am not really sure if the fan is really coming on or now, the machine is generally quiet and I am not always in the same room as it.
Attachments
Στιγμιότυπο 2021-12-19, 10.43.58.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

When you make a copy next time, please check the fan speed and hard drive temp from TOS > Control panel > Hardware information.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sanctimon

Post by sanctimon »

Is there a log I can look at to show me what happened last time?

If there is a configuration issue or, even worse, a defect with the fan, I would like to know now.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! If you do not copy data, will the device automatically shut down?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
sanctimon

Post by sanctimon »

No, this has only happened when I was uploading significant amounts of data to my Nextcloud server onto a RAID1 8TB Ironwolf setup.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! You can pay attention to the temperature of the HDD when copying the files next time.
For TOS 4.2.18, in the fan smart mode, the device will automatically shut down when the hard disk temperature reaches 70°C. You can set the fan working mode to another mode.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sanctimon

are you using only 2 HDD's or why do you use Raid1? You could with 5 disks use a Raid 5 with one HDD failure but the most saving space. Or a a Raid 6 with the possibility of 2 HDD's failure at the same time but less space possibility. And both are faster than a Raid 1!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

To protect your data, the system is set to auto shut down if your hard drive remains a long period of overheating when it is over 70 degrees celsius.
please check if tnas fan working normally and your drives overheat during data copying. Please also check if the temperature of your drives presents a correct value, some drives' temperature does not show in a correct location so that the system fails to read the correct temperature value, especially some SSDs. All above may lead to your tnas shutdown improperly.