Moving from 1 HD NAS to raid

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
Dandy10

Moving from 1 HD NAS to raid

Post by Dandy10 »

Hello, just needing some advice to help make this process more efficient.
I currently have my 4 bay nas set up on 1 hard drive. I've recently bought 4 additional hardrives and would basically like to copy my current hard drive across my soon-to-be, new, raid setup.
Does tnas have any solutions to help with this? Or would another third party solution help to get this set up?

Is not the actual process I'm asking about, but is there any time saving tools or tricks I should be aware of. Because with the large amount of data I'd be moving, I want to do this in an efficient way if possible.
Thanks in advance!
Hardfecx

Re: Moving from 1 HD NAS to raid

Post by Hardfecx »

I think (but I am not sure), when you are inserting the other HDD's, TOS will ask you what type of Raid you want to use and will rebuild it. (But before doing anything, make a backup of your Data). If you may do that on an external Harddrive, I recommend you to create a complete new pool.
With 4 HDD's, I recommend you a Raid 5, wich is fast, you will get the most of your storange place than a raid 10 for example and you can have 1 faulty Harddisk at the time without loosing Data.
But the recreation will take it's time, same if you have to replace a faulty harddrive...
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

This is good advice!
Firstly build a RAID 5 with 3 drives, then copy data from first drive to the RAID 5.
Then insert the fourth drive, and expend the RAID 5 to 4 drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

Thank you!