Time Machine- the backup image could not be created

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
kevgals

Time Machine- the backup image could not be created

Post by kevgals »

Hi, I'm new to TerraMaster. I have a Terramaster F5-221 and I have set it up to backup my mac (os big sur v11.1). The mac prepares the backup and then comes back with the error " the backup image could not be created". Any help with this would be greatly appreciated
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: Time Machine- the backup image could not be created

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
Please check whether the shared folder is added to the time backup directory, and whether the user who logs in on the Mac computer has the permission of the shared folder.
time.png
permission.png
Mac.png
You can refer to the solutions to this problem encountered by others on other system versions on the Internet.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
kevgals

Post by kevgals »

I have now got to the bottom of this. It seems that Time Machine on macs running OS 11.1 (Big Sur) with Sophos Home installed backing up to networked devices (NAS, Time Capsule etc) will fail. Sophos and Apple are aware of this and Sophos say they will have a fix in March 2021. I have un-installed Sophos Home and replaced it with Avast anti virus and now Time Machine backups to my TerraMaster NAS are working perfectly. Hope this is of use to anyone else experiencing this issue.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Thank you for sharing, I believe this can help some people who are experiencing this problem.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)