Major Petpeeve: syncing

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
StanHK

Major Petpeeve: syncing

Post by StanHK »

I have been reading several posts of all people having the same issue: syncing online causes duplication.

It has come to a point where I am simply unable to get rid of files, because they are simply synced back.

I am not alone: https://www.reddit.com/r/TerraMaster/co ... _actually/

The bidirectional sync is not working. I guess it is a timestamp issue.

It gets more severe and complex when keeping two drives insync via an online service (Backblaze/gDrive/Dropbox).

I wanted to try RSYNC to take out the 'man in the middle' (in my case Backblaze) and although both TNAS devices are on the same VPN network (different overlay network), the RSYNC times out (e.g. 1.1.0.3:8181 is remotely accessible via browser on computer with IP, but RSYNC times out on 1.1.0.3:873). Besides RSYNC doesn't support bidirectional sync.

TerraMaster: it is time you support your community with true bidirectional cloud sync and with with a good bidirectional, peer-2-peer file-syncing solution such as Synology offers (Synology Drive ShareSync).

Thank you
yerc1

Re: Major Petpeeve: syncing

Post by yerc1 »

I can see why this is a major pain.
StanHK wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 13:50 TerraMaster: it is time you support your community with true bidirectional cloud sync and with with a good bidirectional, peer-2-peer file-syncing solution such as Synology offers (Synology Drive ShareSync).
Terramaster should ask that their app developers sit down to do what you are trying to achieve and not stop until they correctly complete the task without using anything not available to users.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

StanHK wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 10:35 As a user of the TerraMaster NAS, I feel the company is letting users down by not offering some very basic applications and keeping up with competition. You may disagree with it, I think others would agree.
I really appreciate your open mind comment! And we will add your advice into our list.
Compare to our competitors who have been in this business more than 15 years, TerraMaster is developing brand, certently, there are a lot of works to do, one city just can't be built in one day. We will keep pushing. Thank you!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I am not sure if you have updated acknowledge about the price difference between TerraMaster and Synology. With the same hardware spec, TerraMaster is about 30% cheaper.
TerraMaster is the best cost - performance brand.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The post on Reddit was almost one year ago, the app has been updated for long time. Please tell your model number and TOS version, app version, we need to check it out.
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

My major pet peeve? People who CONSTANTLY COMPLAIN about Terra-Master's' lack of features, and CONSTANTLY COMPARE them to Synology's "superiority". There's a solution... just pay the hundreds of extra dollars to get a Synology and stop complaining.

I apologize ahead of time for anyone who hates rants, but this is a rant:

I'm all for those who want to help a company improve their product by making recommendations for new features, and reporting bugs - but to simply, and CONSTANTLY repeat the same statements about how Synology does this, and Synology does that - clearly you should have just purchased a Synology. Oh, and please don't try to say that you didn't know that Terra-Master and Synology were not in the same pricing tier. Its VERY clear that TM prices their products way lower than the rest, and in my opinion, the value for the dollar is very clear. Its the reason most of us are here, and the reason why I personally prefer to work with TM rather than throw negativity at them. Are there rough edges for them to work out? Absolutely. But, based on my positive experience in the last couple of months interacting with their support, and actually seeing features that I've supported or recommended get implemented - they are a great group of people who, unlike a lot of other companies, actually listen directly to their customers and take action based on that feedback.

As I said, if that's not enough for you - you probably put your money into the wrong product, but I can tell you that if you're willing to be patient, and work with the TM team, most of what you need/want is there or is coming. If it's not, then ask for it in the forums and see if there are others like you who will throw in their agreement. Or if you're really ambitious, build a better app - become a developer, package up exactly what you want and how you want it to work, and submit it to TM yourself. You may even get a nice shiny new NAS out of it for your trouble (based on the newly announced developer rewards).

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just asking people to own the decisions they made, and to give a little understanding back. It's the least you can give for the money you saved on the price of the device.

</ENDRANT>
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Hi Jay, thank you very much for your support! We will not let you down.
StanHK

Post by StanHK »

@TMroy
Both my NAS drives have TOS version 4.1.32-2008031214 with Backblaze B2 Sync 2.0.4-4.

Thanks
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

StanHK wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 22:33 3. Don't complain about others complaining, it is exactly the same. Simple solution, don't read it
Touché, but since TM can hardly bite-back at their customers, I felt like I needed to utilize my freedom of speech to support TM against those who bash them for not being Synology. Which, in my experience, they've never claimed to be. This will be my last post on the topic, I think it's clear now for both sides.
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

we fully understand the points from both your sides points, and thank you all! as I said I will keep moving to be better. Let's come back to issue.