How To Recover Data From Single RAID 1 Disk On Windows

Backup and restore solutions, issues, experiences
erympley

How To Recover Data From Single RAID 1 Disk On Windows

Post by erympley »

My old F2-NAS2 hangs while booting, so I want to extract the data from one of the RAID 1 disks. I have been researching but most solutions involve using Linux, and on Windows all methods I've found require connecting both disks. Does anyone know how I could get the data from a single disk using Windows?
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: How To Recover Data From Single RAID 1 Disk On Windows

Post by sianderson »

Hi, do you know what file system the drive would be in? i don't know if this helps at all as I haven't tested with a Raid 1 disk, I currently only run my F2-210 with a single disk in bay 1, backed up to USB every day (although it is my intention to buy another disk and convert it to a Raid 1 array)

however, I have just verified i can access my USB drive that TNAS backups up to every day on my windows computer its format is EXT4
to do this I use HyperV and install Ubuntu 20.04.1, connect the drive via USB and then using disk manager set it to be offline

this then enables Hyper V to see it as a physical drive that you can mount in the Hyper V manager as a hard drive and therefore Ubuntu then just sees it as a drive directly and access the data which I have no doubt I can either transfer data to my windows computer or another device etc without the need for the TNAS

would the Raid 1 array set up prevent you from doing the same process to access the data from a drive?
F2-210

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please check this link for more information viewtopic.php?f=6&t=292
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
erympley

Post by erympley »

Thank you for your replies. What I ended doing is building an Ubuntu VM and using mdadm and lvm2 to build the array with only one disk. This allowed me to mount it and transfer the files over SMB to a new NAS.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

brilliant news, so i was on the right lines there's just extra steps to do due to it being in a raid array rather than a single disk
F2-210