RAID 5 FAILED REBUILD AT 96%, SYSTEM DROPPED THE RAID.

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
woolfson

RAID 5 FAILED REBUILD AT 96%, SYSTEM DROPPED THE RAID.

Post by woolfson »

This afternoon I noticed that the drive 3 was in a "drive failure" condition, so I replaced it with a similar drive with the similar size, and started the rebuild. During the rebuild, I received quite a few errors on the Event Viewer, figuring that it was something related to the drive doing a rebuild. I didn't think too much about it - the rebuild was in the process and I wouldn't be able to stop it. At 96% rebuild, the log shows that the "RAID DELETED" and then my painfully organized scans of accounting records were gone. Now, this system used solid state drives that were originally designed for Dell servers, so I don't think that it was the drive. To confirm that, I took the "FAILED" drive that I had replaced, and put it onto a Windows 10 machine and ran a command line tool called smartctl. The drive is still good. So what happened? I can't figure it out. However, I'm hopeful that the good folks at Terra-Master can do a gotoMeeting or remote desktop session to see if there is anything that can be done to recover the RAID or force the error message away, or force the drive online to see whether I can recover anything.

Thank you.
Aaron Woolfson
woolfson @ telswitch . com
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: RAID 5 FAILED REBUILD AT 96%, SYSTEM DROPPED THE RAID.

Post by TMroy »

Hi Aaron,
I am sorry to hear the bad news. Please do not try to do any data recovery by your own, that may drag your case even worse. Write an email to support(a)terra-master.com, tell them your story and ask for a remote session. There may be a chance to help you retrieve the data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)