TNAS F4-210: missing optional software

Tell us your most wanted new features, or recommendation.
wnpaul

TNAS F4-210: missing optional software

Post by wnpaul »

One of the main things I miss in TOS is the option to install additional utilities, such as sudo, less, or a more capable version of vim/vi.

I have installed entware in /opt, but that is of limited utility as it works with configuration and system files in /opt/etc rather than /etc.

Is there anywhere a fairly comprehensive repository of ARM64 binaries, preferably in *.ipkg format, together with an opkg binary that will work on the F4-210?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: TNAS F4-210: missing optional software

Post by TMSupport »

Sorry, TNAS don't support sudo and the cmd line you required at the moment.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Luisete

Post by Luisete »

It would be great to be able to use that and have a full console to run linux commands
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

We must take into account the negative impact it may have on TOS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

** Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion. Feel free to disagree and/or ignore this post. **

I definitely see both sides of the story here....

On the one hand, having access to sudo, and other optional administrative commands/programs would allow for a more rich and full Linux server experience on your NAS device...

but...

On the other hand, less experienced people who gain access to those commands could not only cause more support issues for Terra Master, but also may inadvertently cause their own data loss, which they could blame on Terra Master for allowing access to the advanced tools.

I think, since a NAS device is designed to be a NAS, not a Linux server, there has to be a very fine line between enabling advanced functionality for advanced users, and keeping the environment safe enough for people who are new to NAS and/or Linux. If it were my product, I'd likely err on the side of caution as well.
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
---------------------------------------
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Hi Jay, thank you for your understanding.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)