Discuss or report issues regarding TOS updates or beta releases
TMroy
Customer Service

Re: TOS 4.1.31 is released for update

Post by TMroy » 12 Oct 2020, 19:47

DJ_Smelly wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 14:13
Hi,

I have a new F4-210 that I installed 4.1.30 (without Patch 1.03) and then updated to 4.1.31 but it did not fix my issues. I have 4 HDDs (1TB, 1TB, 500GB, 500GB) in a RAID1/RAID1 configuration. Scheduled shutdown between 0100hrs and 0800hrs each day (this is working). Hibernate is set at 30 minutes (this seems to work). Remote Access is enabled. I have installed ClamAV, OneDrive and DLNA.

My issues are:

* The unit still randomly loses connection. All lights are solid green on the front of the unit and the HDDs stay in hibernated state and don’t spin up. Cannot connect via mapped folders or from Chrome in multiple Windows 10 machines on both wired and wifi connections. TNAS Mobile app for iOS says “LAN online” but when I try to login it says “Login timout!” and “Network connection error. Please try again later”. Restarting the NAS fixes this issue temporarily but then it drops out again, sometimes after about an hour and sometimes a couple of days. There isn’t a consistent elapsed time period. This seems to have been worse since I enabled Remote Access a couple of days ago.
* In Windows 10, the NAS “\\SERVER” randomly disappears from my Network list and any folder mappings using “\\SERVER” do not work. But it works if I change it to the IP address “\\192.168.0.x” instead of “\\SERVER”. After restarting the NAS the “\\SERVER” reappears but then disappears randomly again.
* The power button on the front of unit does not work. Have tried short press, 3 second press and 10 second press but the unit stays powered on. I have to pull the plug from rear to shutdown or restart.
* FTP, Telnet, etc was enabled after the update to 4.1.31 when they were disabled before.
You can try to re-install TOS 4.1.31.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @

DJ_Smelly

Post by DJ_Smelly » 14 Oct 2020, 11:24

Hardfecx wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 16:02
DJ_Smelly wrote:
Hi,

I have a new F4-210 that I installed 4.1.30 (without Patch 1.03) and then updated to 4.1.31 but it did not fix my issues. I have 4 HDDs (1TB, 1TB, 500GB, 500GB) in a RAID1/RAID1 configuration. Scheduled shutdown between 0100hrs and 0800hrs each day (this is working). Hibernate is set at 30 minutes (this seems to work). Remote Access is enabled. I have installed ClamAV, OneDrive and DLNA.

My issues are:

* In Windows 10, the NAS “\\SERVER” randomly disappears from my Network list and any folder mappings using “\\SERVER” do not work. But it works if I change it to the IP address “\\192.168.0.x” instead of “\\SERVER”. After restarting the NAS the “\\SERVER” reappears but then disappears randomly again.
Have a look in your "Windows features" if "SMB 1.0/CIFS" are enabled.
Yes, Client and Server are enabled while Automatic Removal is disabled. I can see other computers and Samba share drives on my network, it's just the F4-210 that disappears but I can still reach it using the IP address.

DJ_Smelly

Post by DJ_Smelly » 14 Oct 2020, 11:29

sianderson wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 17:33
could this be your router playing up, as no doubt that would be acting as a dns server? and its losing its memory of what name translates to what IP? so the act of rebooting the nas will update it to say im here?

my question would be when you can no longer access the name, can you ping the name and does it translate it to an IP address or not (regardless of whether it gets a successful ping)
When I can no longer access the name I get the following error message when I try to ping - "Ping request could not find host SERVER. Please check the name and try again." and no IP address is returned. If I ping the IP address it is successful.

DJ_Smelly

Post by DJ_Smelly » 17 Oct 2020, 16:11

TMroy wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 19:47
DJ_Smelly wrote:
Hi,

My issues are:

* The unit still randomly loses connection. All lights are solid green on the front of the unit and the HDDs stay in hibernated state and don’t spin up. Cannot connect via mapped folders or from Chrome in multiple Windows 10 machines on both wired and wifi connections. TNAS Mobile app for iOS says “LAN online” but when I try to login it says “Login timout!” and “Network connection error. Please try again later”. Restarting the NAS fixes this issue temporarily but then it drops out again, sometimes after about an hour and sometimes a couple of days. There isn’t a consistent elapsed time period. This seems to have been worse since I enabled Remote Access a couple of days ago.
* The power button on the front of unit does not work. Have tried short press, 3 second press and 10 second press but the unit stays powered on. I have to pull the plug from rear to shutdown or restart.
* FTP, Telnet, etc was enabled after the update to 4.1.31 when they were disabled before.
You can try to re-install TOS 4.1.31.
I did a complete re-install of 4.1.31 (took out the hard drives, used automatic download, etc) and everything seemed to work OK (apart from a small issue where I forgot to manually assign the IP address in TOS). Once I assigned it, the unit worked perfectly for 17 hours without any loss of connection.

I then enabled Remote Access but after the scheduled shutdown and restart overnight, the unit randomly lost connection again. I tried to use the power button on the front of the unit but it did not work again. After restarting by pulling out the power, I reconnected and disabled Remote Access. The power button then worked after this (long press, unit beeped, lights blinked, unit beeped again, unit then shutdown a short time later). But then the issue of "\\SERVER" disappearing from my Network List but "\\192.168.0.x" working instead happened again. I tried the power button again when this occurred but this time all the lights on the front of the unit turned off but the hard drives and fans remained on and did not properly shutdown. I waited some time to see if it would shutdown but I had to pull the power again. Upon restarting the unit I also noticed that all the Shared Folders that I had hidden in Network Neighbourhood yesterday were now visible again.

What is happening with my unit?

TMroy
Customer Service

Post by TMroy » 18 Oct 2020, 10:59

The most possible now could be your hard drives. I have no idea what drives you are installing in your device, but 1TB and 500GB should be very old drives, and you mixed those drives and built them to a RAID, that is not a recommanded way to use like this. It is time for you to check if your drives are healthy. Please refer to following article
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-che ... ves-health
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @