TOS 4.1.30 is released for update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
yorch

Re: TOS 4.1.30 is released for update

Post by yorch »

and it is not to create controversy. but they are 3 very basic things in a nas, which are unable to make them work together, in one version.
But hey, nothing happens. When the time comes, I will make a decision, and life will go on.
Sorry if I raised the tone of the conversation, but it tires me to be fighting with the two machines, to do such a simple job.

To be happy everyone !!
F2-221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

That all makes perfect sense, and I definitely see why you would be frustrated. It’s unfortunate that you have to run the beta software at work though, since it could make getting proper support from TM difficult, should the unthinkable happen. My use-case for my NAS is a home/small office, now that I’m working full-time from home. I was running a full-tower PC prior to purchasing my NAS.

Since I have a separate office (converted bedroom) at home, I don’t hear my NAS running all night. I turned the drive hibernation on, but assumed it was working. I may have to go back and make sure it really is, since I’m also running 4.1.30.

What was the response from support (actual support, not the forums) for the hibernation issue in 4.1.30? Is there no fix, or was there fix to recommend you to use the Beta? In the end, you’re right that those 3 are fairly basic, and my hope would be that they are resolved before the Beta moves to full release.
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
scoobyfizz

Post by scoobyfizz »

yorch wrote: 12 Oct 2020, 02:53 and it is not to create controversy. but they are 3 very basic things in a nas, which are unable to make them work together, in one version.
But hey, nothing happens. When the time comes, I will make a decision, and life will go on.
Sorry if I raised the tone of the conversation, but it tires me to be fighting with the two machines, to do such a simple job.

To be happy everyone !!
I agree with everything Yorch says. Not a single version of the software has worked properly. I am tired of checking settings when I reboot (which is still every 5-7 days due to the memory creep issue still being present). Also the fact any problems seem to require fixes involving SSH and delving into the bowels of the device. I also have a QNAP and not ONCE have I had any issues with it in 3 years. but this one is every few days having to tinker with it. And don't get me started on the implementation of some of the apps....
Best thing I ever did was ebay my Terramaster...
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

I have to agree with you Yorch, If I didn’t have the experience of owning a Synology (DS218j) and a QNAP (TS453A) then I might be satisfied with the Terramaster, the frustrating thing is the hardware is incredible value for money, (I purchased it for the 10GBe networking (F2-422).) The OS is primitive in comparison with the other two makes, the dearth of mobile applications is markedly different, (go on the App Store and search for QNAP and see how many more apps with lots of other functions), the 422 has an HDMI port with no real purpose, my QNAP allows me use the HDMI port to set it up as a Linux machine in its own right, the CCTV app, the music, photos, files, Qmagie , Qmanageretc etc are just some of the apps, in comparison the 422 has an app that doesn’t even work properly with an iPad.

I am sorely tempted to install another OS such as https://github.com/fanthore/F4-220 and see how that pans out.
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

I guess that's why my experience with Terramaster has felt like it's gone without any issues... I've never owned (or experienced) a Synology or QNAP. In the end, I chose Terramaster because the reviews were good (not perfect, but good), and the price was right. On top of that, seeing how responsive people were in the forums that gave me some hope that the community would come to the rescue for a lot of anything that may challenge me. I just haven't really been challenged with any great difficulty (yet).

Bottom line, it would have been hundreds of dollars more (Canadian dollars) for me to pick up a Synology or QNAP, and instead of paying that extra money I was able to put it towards some decent NAS drives. I consciously took the risk, knowing that there were some refinement issues, and that some people were complaining about stability issues (seemed like mostly ARM units though). So I guess it pays to do your research and know what you're getting into. That way, when you realize the shortcomings, we only have ourselves to blame.

I still stand by the fact that my F5-221 has been running since installation without issue, and that I've been able to work around any missing apps in the app catalogue by finding suitable replacements in docker. I know these NAS devices are essentially marketed as mini "Servers" now with all the additional bells and whistles, but for me, as long as the officially released firmware has all the basics of storage connectivity working (ie. FTP, SMB, NFS, etc), that's all I can really asked of a Network Attached Storage device. Maybe I'm just not tinkering enough with it? :)

I am intrigued by that site you posted with all the info on your unit. I wonder if something similar exists for the F5-221.
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
yorch

Post by yorch »

Gentlemen, as you may have noticed, I have stopped fighting. Yes, I have jumped ship, put the Tnas back in its box and sold.
I hope everything goes well for you, and you have more patience than me xD.
I am delighted with the new nas, right now I am light years away from software.
Greetings and until fate brings us together again.
May the force be with you, always.
F2-221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

Good luck! Glad you've been able to decide. I'm still knocking on wood that I'll have a different experience than everyone else, and hoping that anything I do encounter, TerraMaster support will get me through. That being said, due to Amazon's xmas return policy... I have until Feb 2021 to evaluate and make my final decision.

All the best.
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
scoobyfizz

Post by scoobyfizz »

yorch wrote: 20 Oct 2020, 01:57 Gentlemen, as you may have noticed, I have stopped fighting. Yes, I have jumped ship, put the Tnas back in its box and sold.
I hope everything goes well for you, and you have more patience than me xD.
I am delighted with the new nas, right now I am light years away from software.
Greetings and until fate brings us together again.
May the force be with you, always.
Congratulations I hope you are happy with your NAS that works.. We still fight on un your absence..
Best thing I ever did was ebay my Terramaster...