TOS Update/TOS Patch/Firmware update...What else?

Discuss or report issues regarding TOS updates or beta releases
macmpi

TOS Update/TOS Patch/Firmware update...What else?

Post by macmpi » 01 Aug 2020, 17:41

Hi,

All this becomes quite confusing to properly maintain one's NAS.

TOS Update, is kind of standard and self explanatory.

TOS Patch: what's this in principle??
Why is this not part of normal TOS update?
Is it just to beta-test things before including in future TOS Update? (then label it as beta-test)
TOS Patch thread does not refer to related TOS versions it may apply on (only talks about NAS models): this adds to the confusion.
(e.g. do I need to re-apply after each TOS Update? How do I know if necessary?)
TOS Patch is only referred in Forum: users who do not care about Forum, won't notice about it: if it is important stuff, then majority of users will go without proper patch.
If can't be applied by TOS Update, make a specific TOS App that will do all required checks (devices, TOS version) before applying, and shoot a notification on NAS dashboard and error email if set.

Firmware Update: is kind of expected, but:
Same comment as before: can't this be included in TOS update install to make it more straight-forward to apply to all devices?
No idea if this also has a dependency on particular TOS version (if not, and was confirmed by actual tests, please state it).
If not in beta-test (state it if contrary), why is this not deployed to all users (few customers know about the Forum, or even read-it all)?
If can't be applied by TOS Update, make a specific TOS App that will do all required checks (devices, TOS version) before applying, and shoot a notification on NAS dashboard and notification email if set.

Please do not assume your customers are all sysadmin spending hours to figure-out what needs to be applied (or not) to have an up-to-date system.
Thanks for consideration to make things more straightforward for customers.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.06, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients

Tricky

Re: TOS Update/TOS Patch/Firmware update...What else?

Post by Tricky » 01 Aug 2020, 18:34

I thought we where all beta testers here :roll: just for instance i have a friend who is running the 4.2.02 bata on his F5-221 for the last few days with no apparent problems yet i updated to the 4.1.29 from 4.1.28 version which are both supposed to be finished fully working updates and i now have to deal with my TNAS not being contactable on the network about once every 24 hours and having to restart every time...i have had problems since buying the TNAS which i have never had with other NAS! :x

yorch

Post by yorch » 04 Aug 2020, 06:14

hardware is the best
software is horrible.
FIN
F2-221

macmpi

Post by macmpi » 04 Aug 2020, 14:45

Folks, this thread is not meant for whining on things or frustration expression, but rather for getting detailed clarification on TOS Patches and Firmware updates applicability and strategy from:
TMroy wrote:
TMSupport wrote:
Thanks.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.06, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients

Tricky

Post by Tricky » 04 Aug 2020, 16:20

macmpi wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 14:45
Folks, this thread is not meant for whining on things or frustration expression, but rather for getting detailed clarification on TOS Patches and Firmware updates applicability and strategy from:
TMroy wrote:
TMSupport wrote:
Thanks.
And why not? we the consumers who pay a not inconsequential price for these NAS should be able to have a moan about the fact that time and time again we are let down and often loose data simply because Terramaster keep releasing incomplete of badly patched software...no other NAS manufactures has this amount of problems with software!! :roll:

I am quite sure they know that they have ongoing problems with the software this is a forum for the end user and they gey plenty of concise reports (we are not all ultra techies!) so venting our frustration is part of it. :roll:

macmpi

Post by macmpi » 04 Aug 2020, 17:06

Tricky wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 16:20
venting our frustration is part of it
Within your own threads on your complaints then.

Please do not hijack this topic with off-topic comment: the goal here is to stay focused on that topic matter only, and move forward with explanations and improvements .
Thanks for consideration.

Tricky

Post by Tricky » 04 Aug 2020, 20:02

I'll just remind you of the thread title then! (TOS Update/TOS Patch/Firmware update...What else?)

Having a moan about the bad software counts IMO so live with it!

keithlm

Post by keithlm » 06 Aug 2020, 01:41

I think the question of firmware vs a patch or update is kind of a confusing gray area.

For a normal computer.. the firmware is the bios and that is flashed to an eprom. Then you load the operating system. Which is software.

For a NAS.. which is also actually a computer.. there must be a bios or eprom so that would actually be the bios or firmware. Then the TOS would be the operatings system/software.

HOWEVER if you consider the NAS as a DEVICE and not think of it as a computer then many people might think of the entire TOS as being the "firmware".

(I could be wrong....)

TMroy
Customer Service

Post by TMroy » 06 Aug 2020, 11:37

A complete TNAS system includes bios(U-boot in ARM by instead), initboot, and TOS.

TOS is the operating system like Windows or Mac on your computer, this is the main part of a TNAS. Some one in his post called it as firmware, well, it was not a official speaking, but that does not matter, at least we understand what he was talking about. Officially we do not say firmware update, we normally say TOS update.

A TOS patch, it is a patch, used to resolve some issues inside the system or u-boot, with this you do not need to update the whole system in order to resolve some minor issues, you can do it quickly and reduce risk on your data.

Iniboot is bootstrap program, which co-works with bios or u-boot so that your TOS can boot properly at very beginning of initialization or restart. Some times we also release a update for initboot.

My dears, hopefully this information is good enough for your understanding.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @

macmpi

Post by macmpi » 06 Aug 2020, 13:31

TMroy wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 11:37
My dears, hopefully this information is good enough for your understanding.
Thanks for this initial feedback.

The more substancial questions were about:
- relevance of TOS Patches & Initboot in relation to TOS versions: for which TOS, which TOS Patches and which Initboot
- are those 2 items Beta, or Release quality
- distribution of those 2 items: only via links in Forum, or will those be included for all users through automated updates (TOS or Apps), & when?

Thanks for your detailed information.