TOS 5.1.34 (X86) is Released for Update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
sybarix

Re: TOS 5.1.34 (X86) is Released for update

Post by sybarix »

Successfully updated F2-221 from 5.1.33 to 5.1.34. No issues to report :)
mightywhitey

Post by mightywhitey »

mightywhitey wrote: 12 May 2023, 17:47 Yesterday I tried to update my F2-221 from 5.1.33 to 5.1.34, and it became stuck on 'Loading..., please wait!' - I've left it for 24 hours and it's still stuck. Today I've restarted it and waited a few hours and it's still stuck. TNAS PC also doesn't recognise it.

I've also tried 'method 2' to reinitialise. (Turn off > Remove HDD > Wait >....) but it's still stuck on 'Loading..., please wait!'

Please can anyone help?

Updates to TNAS are SO unreliable and frustrating, is there any QA on these updates before they're released?!
I've now solved this issue. It appears when updating, my Initboot on the internal usb was corrupted. I've now rebuilt the Initbook and its reinstalling TOS. Frustrating to say the least.
quella

Post by quella »

Not sure if any others are using the Ethernet Bond (Aggregate) option with your TNAS, but I'm wondering if this feature is doing anything or causing more issues than it is worth. Even when bonding the two 1gbps Ethernet ports, the bandwidth shows as 1gbps and nothing above. I would not expect 2X the bandwidth, but 1.5 or more could be expected with any aggregate ports. I'm happy to disable bonded Ethernet, but I fear this would half my current speed and just kill my users.

I have VERY slow SMB access and my NAS, a F4-423 on this version of TOS. It seems like it would have no issues with network speeds and overall the system is running at 10-30% CPU. No other network broadcasts or errors on the LAN and all other communications not to the NAS seem as expected, this is only a TNAS issue. Maybe it is just this OS platform, but SMB backups using Time Machine can take hours for a few hundred meg of changes. Moving files around via a connected Mac Share volume are often a wait and wait more for a single file to be moved to a different folder on the same NAS filesystem.

Just not sure what to try next or if others have these issues and just live with them.
gaz2k1uk

Post by gaz2k1uk »

With this whole partition issue, after issues I managed to finally update to 5.1.34 but don't want issues in the future. I am using 1 of my 2 bays but wanted to get a 2nd drive anyway. Would I be able to remove the current one, set up a new drive and format and set up TOS 5.1 from new? Then place my old drive back in to access the data and move to the new drive before finally re-formating my old drive? Is that the best way?
Setup:
System: F2-422
HD: x2 6GB IronWolf 6TB (RAID 0)
Notes: 8GB System Partition!

Backup:
USB COPY: Seagate 8GB External Expansion HDD
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

gaz2k1uk wrote: 15 May 2023, 23:16 With this whole partition issue, after issues I managed to finally update to 5.1.34 but don't want issues in the future. I am using 1 of my 2 bays but wanted to get a 2nd drive anyway. Would I be able to remove the current one, set up a new drive and format and set up TOS 5.1 from new? Then place my old drive back in to access the data and move to the new drive before finally re-formating my old drive? Is that the best way?
Are your drives ext4 or btrfs? I'm not sure if this will work with btrfs because I use ext4.

I took one of my raid 1 ext4 drives out of the raid set then used an USB drive adapter to connect the drive to the USB port of a new TNAS. It easily copied all the data from the USB connected drive. I did it this way because I didn't want the new machine to try to make it part of its raid because after copying the data, I returned the drive to its original machine to rejoin that raid set.
DataScientist6

Post by DataScientist6 »

After the system died post-upgrade (three beeps, all HD lights red, TNAS PC reporting uninitialized), I used TNAS PC to re-initialize it. This caused me to lose all my permissions and such but it did successfully upgrade it to 5.1.34. Things worked for a bit but it died overnight.

One of the HD lights turned off, the other three stayed green, but the device was unresponsive over network shares, WebUI, Plex, etc.

A hard reboot appears to have brought it back, but it isn't encouraging that this happened. Never had this much trouble with an upgrade before.
gaz2k1uk

Post by gaz2k1uk »

titanrx8 wrote: 16 May 2023, 00:50
gaz2k1uk wrote: 15 May 2023, 23:16 With this whole partition issue, after issues I managed to finally update to 5.1.34 but don't want issues in the future. I am using 1 of my 2 bays but wanted to get a 2nd drive anyway. Would I be able to remove the current one, set up a new drive and format and set up TOS 5.1 from new? Then place my old drive back in to access the data and move to the new drive before finally re-formating my old drive? Is that the best way?
Are your drives ext4 or btrfs? I'm not sure if this will work with btrfs because I use ext4.

I took one of my raid 1 ext4 drives out of the raid set then used an USB drive adapter to connect the drive to the USB port of a new TNAS. It easily copied all the data from the USB connected drive. I did it this way because I didn't want the new machine to try to make it part of its raid because after copying the data, I returned the drive to its original machine to rejoin that raid set.
BRTFS is the file format currently used. Does anyone know if this would work with BTRFS if I was to get a USB drive adapter and copy everything over or can I insert it as a 2nd drive once set up as new on the 1st drive and copy over the data?
Setup:

Backup:
gaz2k1uk

Post by gaz2k1uk »

gaz2k1uk wrote: 16 May 2023, 16:21
titanrx8 wrote: 16 May 2023, 00:50

BRTFS is the file format currently used. Does anyone know if this would work with BTRFS if I was to get a USB drive adapter and copy everything over or can I insert it as a 2nd drive once set up as new on the 1st drive and copy over the data?
Just seen BTRFS does not work with USB so guess thats out of the question, can anyone from terra master please let me know how I can move my data my current BTRFS drive to a newly formatted one I will use to set up my device as new? Placing in this thread as related to the partition issue which I hope to resolve once I set up as new using a new drive.
Setup:

Backup:
quella

Post by quella »

I seem to be having an issue with the NASIPS process running constantly at 100% on CPU3. I can confirm that when I SSH in and run TOP, this process starts and stops but always consumes high amounts of CPU. I'm not running any applications (basic setup) or snapshots. Thoughts on why this process is running and if it is ok to kill it? not sure if it is a core process and for some reason is having issues. Any thoughts?
csprog

Post by csprog »

TMroy wrote: 13 May 2023, 12:53
csprog wrote: 13 May 2023, 10:04 My F4-421 went to the white loading screen for hours. I tried removing the hard drives and booting but I get "booting form init system

error: invalid extent
failed to boot both default and fallback entries"

Can someone point me in a direction that would help?
is this error shown on your web page? or somewhere else?
Never seen such an error before, would you share a screenshot?
It was on the boot screen with HDMI connected.
I was able to find boot usb restore instructions on the website and was able to rebuild the boot image with it. From there I was able to reinstall the OS.