TOS 5.1.24 is Released for Update!

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
kenfrog

Re: The Brand New TOS 5.1.24 is released for update!

Post by kenfrog »

kenfrog wrote:
>
Correction - removed the disks and booted with nothing
got to the bootloader - inserted disks and getting to the load firmware - manual patch from 5.1.24_00324 (downloaded from downloads page)
got error making systems partitions - your hdd could be faulty :/ (not likely, more likely that the TOS folders are already on disk.

now the system wants to erase the disks and punt my data :/ not cool - going to work on seeing how to manually flash or DD a disk image to boot usb.

If anyone at Terramaster has a process to create a new boot disk for the TOS Please contact me.
quella

Post by quella »

@kenfrog,

I was in this same state and first did a shutdown (pushed power button and waited for the device to complete and power down). After this, I disconnected the power cable and then plugged things back in and pressed the power on. Once the drive LEDs came up, I saw the network led come live. Still no access to the Web GUI (White page), but all my shares are up and TimeMachine seems to also be working as expected. Not sure how long that can last as without GUI access, not sure what else I can do.

Quella
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

quella wrote:
>
Took an old 16gb flash disk and created a new boot usb using these commands
How to fix a faulty USB initBoot for your TNAS?(x.86) = viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&start=70
download and use the steps in http://dl.terra-master.com/cn/Guide-installation.zip
upzip the Guided steps - reading instruction.txt to make a new usb and boot the os like new and rebuild everything

loading the main boot config and the system is saying it has detected incompatible desktop hard drive

trying the bootloader - http://<IP>/bootloader/#/- now its not loading to an error no boot loader

downloading the bootloader for the OS 5.1.42 - now again incompatible desktop hard drive

I'm using the right drives : check the list and they are listed - > Seagate Exos ST18000NM000J 18 TB F5-422 Applicable, not recommended (because of noise, that I don't notice)

Now the system is telling me that the disks have data or are incompatible and will be wiped. I don't understand what the S41NHB!#%H!#%H
jgea

Post by jgea »

These messages are very frightening, I REALLY hope the os updated is strictly reviewed, I cannot go two days with the NAS offline neither loose data!
quella

Post by quella »

After a second physical reboot, I now have access to the dashboard splash screen and it says 5.1.24-00324 as the version at the bottom of the screen. When I attempt to login, it says the user (my admin user) is unknown. Maybe wait a few hours and do another physical reboot and see if I get my users back. Odd that is seems to have rolled back from 5.1.28 to 5.1.24 in some way.
quella

Post by quella »

I found that I had to do a reload of TOS from the boot loader which there are directions for elsewhere. 1) shutdown the NAS, 2) remove drives, 3) boot up and wait a few minutes, 4) install drives, 5) reload TOS. When I did this, I did not lose any data on my drives and I also had a back of the configuration. Once up and operational, I went to system and did a restore from backup. After all that, I'm back on 5.1.24 and all seems to be going well. I will wait some time before jumping on a new release as I have been bitten a few times already.
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

found a post on the forum that stated that I could safely ignore the first prompt to format data and move on with the install and reinstalled from the offical image (TOS_X642.0_5.1.24_00322_2302221846.ins) image and now the NAS is working but i'm happy to be stuck with rebuilding a newly clean install of the TOS. I hope someone can connect with me to get past the "create a volume" step. from all my searching on the forum posts - i see i have to connect with support but i sent off emails and no word :)

5.1.28 was a hell of an update : ) - It really kicked my system a new one :) L0L hopefully the team can iron out the details and get better or smoother process worked out soon :)
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

quella wrote:
>
I'm so happy to hear you got your NAS working and have a working backup : ) I have 50TB + and don't have a place to mirror nor restore from :)

I'm 100% holding to hope, that the support team can swoop in and offer me help me to recover the raid 5 config. or get the data set rejigged so i can just import and move on.

cheers mate :)
quella

Post by quella »

@kenfrog glad things are closer. I did not have a backup of my actual data, but did have a TOS configuration back that had my users, mappings, etc. So, once my system came up as new, I could login and apply the saved configuration and do a reboot. After that, I was back to a fully working setup. I can say that is was one that bit us that took the leap of faith earlier on 5.1.28. Wishing you the best on getting things fully working. Sad that we have not had any word from TNAS team on this one as of yet.
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

quella wrote:
>
I'm confident that the team TOS team will pull my system back to working. They have ...in the past been able to help others. To be honest i have owned one of these devices for the better part of the last two and half years. So Far this system and updates have been solid and getting better (minor gripes). I recall only two updates so far have tossed me into a weird spot, and I was able to recover from each of the bad updates ... until 5.1.28 :)

I do think it's a little slow to get no replies yet but I work in I.T. as well and can understand. This thankfully is a hobby/personal device and I'm not exactly losing money here, just downtime.

So far, the data on disks seems to be intact just the OS needs to be rejigged :)