TOS 5.0.144 (x.86) is Released for Update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
Spd2612

Re: TOS 5.0.144 (x.86) is Released for Update

Post by Spd2612 »

I dont know where to put this post so forgive me if its in the wrong place
I have a F2 220 and use it for plex only has worked well for 2 years then plex required a update to use on my smart tv
It was not available in applications so I reinstalled my tos and did a manual update of plex
I know now im going to have to buy a F2 221 to be able to load TOS 5 and plex updates are going to be a issue on the ARM model
I don't like having to buy another one but plex runs very well on TNAS
Question is can I keep my data on my existing raid 1 drives or am i going to have to wipe them when i go to the 421
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Spd2612 wrote:
> I dont know where to put this post so forgive me if its in the wrong place
> I have a F2 220 and use it for plex only has worked well for 2 years then
> plex required a update to use on my smart tv
> It was not available in applications so I reinstalled my tos and did a
> manual update of plex
> I know now im going to have to buy a F2 221 to be able to load TOS 5 and
> plex updates are going to be a issue on the ARM model
> I don't like having to buy another one but plex runs very well on TNAS
> Question is can I keep my data on my existing raid 1 drives or am i going
> to have to wipe them when i go to the 421

Your post mentions 3 different models (220, 221, 421) and then erroneously mentions ARM when none of those models use that architecture.

As far as your latter question is concerned, you should backup to external media & then allow the new NAS to format the drives, especially if you are actually moving from ARM to ×64, as TOS is installed onto the first drive that was inserted into the original NAS (it does not get installed onto the internal USB initboot drive).

Or better yet, buy new drives for the new NAS & use the old one as a backup rsync destination to have 2 physical backups onsite; if you setup a cloud sync option as well, you will have a 3-2-1 backup solution.
Spd2612

Post by Spd2612 »

The 421 was a typo and I stated what model i have wrong oops
I currently have the F2 210
Now you see my issue, as far as hdds I have lots of them in my rack but all my vms run windows or linux
And nothing seems to run plex better then the Terramaster
I can definitely back up all my movies etc
Just making sure it was nessasary
The 210 will just be stuck in a corner
It was a surprise when I turned on plex which i use for local channels OTA and was greeted with the message that I needed a newer version of server which was only available thru manual download
This works for now but I see EOL coming
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Spd2612 wrote:
> The 421 was a typo and I stated what model i have wrong oops. I currently have the F2 210

Alright.

> Now you see my issue, as far as hdds I have lots of them in my rack but all my VMs run windows or linux. And nothing seems to run plex better then the Terramaster. I can definitely back up all my movies etc. Just making sure it was nessasary

If the drives are going to be moved into the new NAS, then yes, starting clean will be necessary due to the architecture change.

If you buy new drives or use spares from your "lots of them", you could just leave the existing NAS in its current state & then one-time rsync the data onto the new NAS.

---

Spd2612 wrote:
> The 210 will just be stuck in a corner … This works for now but I see EOL coming

Yeah, unfortunately, Terra-Master seems to be working on a new ARM series device & has seemingly unofficially moved the existing RealTek based 210 series to EOL.

---

Spd2612 wrote:
> It was a surprise when I turned on plex which i use for local channels OTA and was greeted with the message that I needed a newer version of server, which was only available thru manual download

You'd need to manually install https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-se ... arch64.tpk since Terra-Master hasn't updated their direct install version.
MisterXY
Germany

Post by MisterXY »

Hello also a small language bug in german language.
In Control Panel -> System Info -> Overview, you see under Hardware the DIsk Temperatur.
In German you call it "Scheibentemperatur". Please Translate it to "Festplatten-Temperatur" or "HDD-Temperatur".
Another bug I get is that very often I am informed that my system is running sluggishly or that it is doing other tasks.
I have disabled all notifications.
https://prnt.sc/tpm-8_GEgGFs
MisterXY
Germany

Post by MisterXY »

tepe wrote:
> MisterXY wrote:
> > if you don't see the volumes, then you probably need to change the
> "media"
> > group policies for the volume. I also had to do that with Jellyfin, otherwise I
> > wouldn't have access to my volumes.
>
> Please explain how did you set that.
i think this picture has all infos for you
https://prnt.sc/goM8tYmyPdTh
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

MisterXY wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 15:32 Hello also a small language bug in german language.
In Control Panel -> System Info -> Overview, you see under Hardware the DIsk Temperatur.
In German you call it "Scheibentemperatur". Please Translate it to "Festplatten-Temperatur" or "HDD-Temperatur".
Another bug I get is that very often I am informed that my system is running sluggishly or that it is doing other tasks.
I have disabled all notifications.
https://prnt.sc/tpm-8_GEgGFs
1. The language translation has been modified.
2. Click "Notifications" - "Settings" in the upper right corner of the page to cancel notifications.
1.jpg
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MisterXY
Germany

Post by MisterXY »

@TMSupport wrote:
> [quote=MisterXY post_id=20290 time=1659339169 user_id=4925]
> Hello also a small language bug in german language.
> In Control Panel -> System Info -> Overview, you see under Hardware the DIsk
> Temperatur.
> In German you call it "Scheibentemperatur". Please Translate it to
> "Festplatten-Temperatur" or "HDD-Temperatur".
> Another bug I get is that very often I am informed that my system is running
> sluggishly or that it is doing other tasks.
> I have disabled all notifications.
> https://prnt.sc/tpm-8_GEgGFs
> [/quote]
> 1. The language translation has been modified.
> 2. Click "Notifications" - "Settings" in the upper right corner
> of the page to cancel notifications.
> 1.jpg
Ich have this allways deactivated but get also this message. That's the reason i write.
https://prnt.sc/6Q7qGETM0Zlj
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

{L_BUTTON_AT}kenfrog
TMroy wrote:
> > This is not a bug.
> "store dos attributes = no" is the default value in smb.conf. If you want
> to customize the smb advanced configuration, you can go to "control panel >
> file service > smb > advanced" , add your custom settings into smb
> configuration file.
>
> smb_custom.png

@TMroy - thanks for the information about the smb.conf file being defaulting to no Dos Attributes. Question, if I may : SMB is mostly used by windows and very few other systems, because NFS is better supported in most if not all Unix/Linux Systems ... Why not map the dos attributes by default?? Is there more information or maybe good opportunity for me to learn something about the SMB service that I'm unaware of ?

I will try the custom settings box in the next instance that this is reset : )
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

TMroy wrote:
>
I don't want to sound ungrateful for your support with the Samba (SMB) service but I checked the service documentation. Service documentation found here : https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/curren ... onf.5.html
Sub Section : store dos attributes (S) = store dos attributes (S) : Default: store dos attributes = yes

So, this is the source of my confusion and reason for my inquiry. I ask so that I may learn, and maybe others too.

Cheers mate :)