TOS 5.0.144 (x.86) is Released for Update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
quella

Re: TOS 5.0.144 (x.86) is Released for Update

Post by quella »

I wanted to chime in and say that I have a rather new Terramaster F4-423 system which I had setup with three drives and two total volumes (1 pair of 8TB and a single 3TB for a different use case); about a month old. I can say that for me, the upgrade to TOS 5.0 has been without issue as of yet. I did not install 1.35 which many reported volume problems. I did go from 1.30 to 1.44 without any issues, but again, I'm mainly using this for Timemachine backups of a few Mac computers and a storage volume for random items. My setup is rather vanilla with no major configuration modifications or streaming use which others here seem to have reported issues.
Enigma55

Post by Enigma55 »

I went from 1.30 to 1.44 and my SSD cache is now disabled and no longer working. I have tried to recreate it, but the cache create process is now failing. Not sure what happened as everything was working well under 1.30, but I cannot get a SSD cache to setup now. Any ideas. I have already SSH'd into the server and used fdisk to remove the existing cache drive partitions which allowed me to create a new cache, but the create process in the software just times out and remains at 60% complete.
danielv

Post by danielv »

Hello!!!

I just noticed another bug.

I have activated the force https connection and I realize that the browsers detect that the issuer of the certificate is not valid and mark it as not secure (despite the fact that the expiration date of the certificate has not expired).

In case you can give this a spin in future updates.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}danielv

When you connect via HTTPS, you will see "Advanced" on the page, and after clicking it, you will see "Continue to 192.168.x.x", click it to enter the TOS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kenfrog

Post by kenfrog »

danielv wrote:
>
This is a common problem with certs, webpages, and current browsers.... the problem is the cert was created for a named domain and not an IP range, in this case the IANA reserved home network ranges. The browser has to be told to allow this cert and ignore the error about the ip being used in place of the name. All common current browsers seem to have this ERROR message ( chrome, Firefox, edge(ms chrome), opera, and others ), but the error is just the named cert fails to match ip given and domain because it's using *.domain in the cert.

METHOD #1 (Basic Fix) : add an exception to this page in the browser it should load without issue. see your browsers documentation for the steps to allow and by pass the error. most common Advanced Except or Allow.

it's not a bug on the TNAS side, but the cert subject alternative names being specified. The web interface cert has these two entries :
DNS Name=*.tnas.link
DNS Name=tnas.link

NO IP addresses listed - thus causing your problems.

METHOD #2 (Advanced Fix) : use local dns and hostname to resolve the TNAS.tnas.link name to your ip.
Steps:
use putty and ssh to the tnas console ( login is the same as your web page admin name and password)
enter hostname (hit enter) on that command to get the host name for the NAS on your network
make a dns change to add the pointer to resolve the name like this

my host name in linux is : TNAS-F5-422
we know the domain is : tnas.link

now to add a corrective record (CNAME) or authority name (ANAME) record
hostname : TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link
DNS NAME : TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link A record on local dns (192.168.xxx.xxx where xxx is your network segments)
cert : auto from Tnas
URL : https://TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link:1234/tos/#/ ( where 1234 are the ports you choose, in place of defaults 8080 or 8181)

In this method you are going to poison the dns on the local network to redirect any traffic from the local lan to your TNAS for a hostname and domain TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link.

I personally use a pfsence firewall for dns, So in my case I go to the Admin home page -> ServicesDNS -> Resolver -> General Settings -> Host Overrides -> "+"
Enter host name from putty as TNAS-F5-422
Domain as tnas.link
IP as 192.168.100.218 (this being the ip assigned to my TNAS)
apply the dns change and wait 2 mins for propagation.

When anything on the lan network interface attached to my firewall looks for the dns name TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link it gets the local lan address of 192.168.100.218, so it resolves correctly.

DNS Lookup from windows will show this
C:\Users\username> nslookup TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link
Server: pfSense.domainnamehere ..... (host that is being used for dns lookup)
Address: 192.168.100.1 .................. (address of the fireall and dns host being used to lookup)

Name: TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link .......... ( named url entered to lookup )
Address: 192.168.100.218 ------------- (ip address that dns returned, address i needed)
the url used in chrome has no error and works with the cert : https://tnas-f5-422.tnas.link:1234/tos/#/ (Problem solved)

FOR REF. the Public/OPEN Internet resolution of the name TNAS-F5-422.tnas.link
Name: tnas-f5-422.tnas.link
Address 1: 119.28.31.72

As you can see the issue is the cert not the software, you can overcome this error by adding your Tnas system to dns and using the hostname to resolve the url.

METHOD #2 (Expert Fix) : Use your own cert and join the system to your own domain. I will not explain this method as its overkill but should be noted that you can inject your own cert and join a domain. Just create the cert with the static IP in the Subject Alternative Names.... so that the hostname(s) & static IP(s) for a server or cluster all resolve correctly and are covered in the custom cert.

Hope this helps explain the issue with certs subject alternative names being used. The browser is just complaining about the IP not being named in the cert, the best method to fix is use DNS to repoint the traffic to the hostname to resolve the issue.

Cheers Mates :)
gmanghi

Post by gmanghi »

> [b]Issue report[/b]
> If you encounter issues during use, please report to the corresponding TerraMaster
> official forum, or email your issue description and screenshots to
> pm@terra-master.com

Hi, I haven't read all the replies to this announcement for lack of time, but I would like anyway to leave here my feedback on this TOS 5 release on a F2-422 device.

The main issue is that is very slow/unresponsive: Opening panels/menus takes always at least a couple of seconds, while on TOS 4 this takes no time at all. When a panel opens the informations that this should show take a couple more seconds to appear, again this is no issue on TOS 4. Expanding/closing folders in the folders tree in File Explorer is also sluggish. I had opened TOS 5 on a Safari browser (that I usually don't use at all) on macOS Monterey and it is unusable, as is basically completely unresponsive.

I even noticed that the console/SSH is sluggish, with a noticeable delay in accepting keystrokes.

In general the GUI seems unfinished (starting for the fonts), even I must admit that usability of many panels seems to have improved compared to TOS 4.

I had to downgrade to TOS 4 and the speed difference is really noticeable (much better on 4).
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

@gmanghi
> > [b]Issue report[/b]
> > If you encounter issues during use, please report to the corresponding
> TerraMaster
> > official forum, or email your issue description and screenshots to
> > pm@terra-master.com
>
> Hi, I haven't read all the replies to this announcement for lack of time, but I would
> like anyway to leave here my feedback on this TOS 5 release on a F2-422 device.
>
> The main issue is that is very slow/unresponsive: Opening panels/menus takes always
> at least a couple of seconds, while on TOS 4 this takes no time at all. When a panel
> opens the informations that this should show take a couple more seconds to appear,
> again this is no issue on TOS 4. Expanding/closing folders in the folders tree in
> File Explorer is also sluggish. I had opened TOS 5 on a Safari browser (that I
> usually don't use at all) on macOS Monterey and it is unusable, as is basically
> completely unresponsive.
>
> I even noticed that the console/SSH is sluggish, with a noticeable delay in accepting
> keystrokes.
>
> In general the GUI seems unfinished (starting for the fonts), even I must admit that
> usability of many panels seems to have improved compared to TOS 4.
>
> I had to downgrade to TOS 4 and the speed difference is really noticeable (much
> better on 4).

Hi,

I have the same device (on TOS 5.150) and also use PC/Macs (Currently using Win 11 and beta testing Ventura). I primarily use Safari to access TOS (on Macs, iPad Pro etc), my experience of TOS 5.0 is completely different. Its fast, efficient and works brilliantly (now, the beta testing wasn't fun)
1. I have no issues with responsiveness, did you check what processes were running? Was a Time Machine backup happening at the same time? Was Media indexing enabled? Terra Photos AI switched on?
2. What's your network configuration like? Do you use 10Gbe, 5Gbe, 2.5Gbe or regular 1Gb?)
3. Link Aggregation on or off?
4. When accessing the NAS are you using ethernet or WiFi on your Mac/iPad? If Wifi, whats you wifi like?
5. Using one of my Win11 machines, its not an issue either.
6. When TOS 5 is first installed, the Media indexing can gobble up a lot of CPU cycles.

I have a number of NAS and initially I was underwhelmed by the TM, (Great hardware, middling software), but the software side is much improved with TOS5.0

Its almost impossible to diagnose issues like this remotely. But I would highly recommend TOS 5.
gmanghi

Post by gmanghi »

> I have the same device (on TOS 5.150) and also use PC/Macs (Currently using Win 11
> and beta testing Ventura). I primarily use Safari to access TOS (on Macs, iPad Pro
> etc), my experience of TOS 5.0 is completely different.

lucky you.

>Its fast, efficient and works

fast > not here

efficient > organization and usability of panels is certainly better, also (of course) is much improved in functionalities

works > basically unusable here

> Was a Time Machine backup happening at the same time?

no

>Was Media indexing enabled?

no

> Terra Photos AI switched on?

no

> 2. What's your network configuration like? Do you use 10Gbe, 5Gbe, 2.5Gbe or regular
> 1Gb?)

The device is attached to a 10GB local network

> 3. Link Aggregation on or off?

off

> 4. When accessing the NAS are you using ethernet or WiFi on your Mac/iPad? If Wifi,
> whats you wifi like?

only Ethernet

> Its almost impossible to diagnose issues like this remotely. But I would highly
> recommend TOS 5.

I'm on the other side of the spectrum, while is certainly better (many) in some aspects seems unfinished to me and it wasn't really hard to find bugs/annoying things that don't work as expected.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

gmanghi wrote:
>
Ok so I am on a 10Gbe network with port 3 and a separate 1Gb network for ports 1&2, (LAG) Can I ask what switches you are using? and what CPU and RAM usage are? (For reference, I am using Unifi 48 Port Non POE (10Gbe via SFP module and CAT 8) and Unifi 16Port (POE) for ports 1&2 again using CAT 8).
My CPU Usage is around 35% (mainly Terra Photo is using AI) RAM usage is 30%. In my experience Netgear 10Gbe switches can be a bit flakey.

I have 2x12TB WD White Label drives ("Shucked" from other enclosures). in RAID 0 Config. Nothing is connected to USB ports.
I have Unifi Controller running.
It acts as a Plex Server
Default Gateway is set to Port 3
My MTU is set at 1500 across my network
RTSP is on
I have a Caldigit TS3+ (TB3 Dock) connected to Mac Mini (M1) with Caldigit 10Gbe adapter in TB port 2 of the caldigit. To get round the M1 issues with TB ports, I have a 4K display connected to the Display Port and another 4K connected via the Mini's HDMI port.

So if you compare the above to your network/NAS you might see something that jumps out as different. It might be worth seeing if the issue follows you across if you connect via 1Gb and see if that makes a difference. Good luck.