The Brand New TOS 5 is Released!

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: The Brand New TOS 5 is Released!

Post by TMroy »

I did not see any difference. The Deduplication manager is base on application level not file system level, but it do the same job. At present, we do not have the one you prefer.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

It sounds like what you are saying is that the deduplication app just compares file names then replaces one with a hard link to the other.

What if you have two files, 1 is 100mb and the other is 1g and both have the same name? They are obviously different, but will one be replaced with a link?

Does the Deduplication app compare basic file hashes (CRC) to make sure they are truly the same file? If not, that is NOT deduplication, that is just randomly tossing out files with the same name.

I just bought my F5-221 on black friday. After reading about the troubles with OS 5, I have no plans on updating to that. Had I done more research on/before black friday, I am 90% sure I would not have chosen this device. So many bugs in existing software, let alone the next OS version. It seems like I spend half my time working around bugs.

I have worked in the QA industry (hardware and software) for over 15 years. Your QA/Dev departments need some serious overhaul, not to mention your Product Management team allowing apps/features to be released with so many (HOPEFULLY) known issues. Quantity over quality only works until people start using the product.
quella

Post by quella »

Joe,

I have used the DeDuplication on the latest TNAS 5.0 build and it seemed to work well. I had many images in a single volume and when setting up the tool, you can leverage match criteria based on MD5 (fatest), SHA1 or SHA256 (more CPU intensive) and the system goes and does a HASH comparison. You have the ability for a few options such as Max/Min file size limits.

As you said, I'm not sure which of the files (first, second, third, fourth,...Nth) in the hash match is replaced with a link. I can only assume the first discovered hash is the "real" file and any subsequent found hash matches get the hard link. I was not as concerned as the data I was testing it on is something where I can have the tool mess up and I can replace the info. I can say that it did find quite a few dups and able to show you how much space is saved at the end.

I would like to have the ability to have this run on a schedule, but it seems like you have to create a new job in the tool each time you want to dedupe. Oh well, it could be worse. :)
sae24
Russia

Post by sae24 »

It is rare to find so many categorical negative reference about the software part (TOS). The hardware is good enough, but upgrading from one beta to another is a little confusing.

I bought F4-422, not the most popular and advertised model, but it has a 10Gb network interface and has socket for SATA cache disk . I need network storage with high access speed, the absence of additional programs does not bother me. The main thing is that network protocols work.

I get emails every day from the system that performance is low and I need to open the control panel and look on it. Tell me, did viewing the system load help anyone reduce this load?

I wish the coding team to focus on a normal regular release, not a lot of beta releases. The longer the system suffers from "childhood diseases", the worse the reviews, the less likely it will be bought. And yes, many gone to other systems, the native system is not very happy and is slowly developing.
I think for me it's time to install the stable version of XPENOLOGY or FreeNAS and stop dreaming about upgrading.

Special regards to the support team! About 60% of responses to users - reinstall the system - is that normal?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sae24

This issue will be fixed in the coming new release version.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
BobbyL

Post by BobbyL »

So wait,

IF I go through all the trouble to update to TOS 5, my PLEX servers will stop working????

That is roughly 25-40% of the reason I use them.

Please confirm so I don't make a huge mistake!