The Brand New TOS 5 is Released!

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
rocketron51

Re: The Brand New TOS 5 Officially Released Today!

Post by rocketron51 »

@TMRoy

Thank you I will be sticking with TOS 4 at the moment and perhaps in the not to distant future will upgrade to hopefully a more stable and useable TOS 5
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Charlie_Croker wrote:
> @Tricky
>
> I believe the bootloader is your issue, The Terramaster has a small usb
> flash drive (Watch this video and you can just see it at around the 8
> minute mark (Board marked USB 1). This usb drive boots up the NAS.
> When you initialise, the NAS will connect to the internet and download a
> new bootloader to the USB drive. So make sure your NAS has internet
> connectivity. If you have connectivity to the net from your NAS, then it
> might be the USB/Flash drive, take a read here
> viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455
>
> Good luck

Thanks @Charlie_Croker, Yes know about the USD drive was going to run Freenas on mine but decided otherwise, Cant see why this bootloader needs replacing when changing the system, not needed to do that before now, but in any case a problem lies in that if the bootloader doesn't download, and you have to do it manually the link take you to the TOS and TNAS download page, so you can only download the INS file and not what the TNAS is looking for therefore you can't load it, so hopefully now @TMroy has provided the *img file I can actually get things up and running again.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky

when you failed to download the bootloader from the server, did you be prompted by a menu to upload it manually?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky
TMroy wrote:
> >
> when you failed to download the bootloader from the server, did you be
> prompted by a menu to upload it manually?

Yes! And the "download from the server" just takes you to the main software on the main site, and the download is not the correct format or type.

OK, further to this I have just tried to manually install the image boot file you gave me the link to (thanks) but it is now just stuck on the TOS installation page with the repeating circle and not doing anything!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I see.
Now just wait for the storage pool mounting, it is going to take about 10 minutes which depends on your disk size. 10 minutes later, if the web page still keep loading, then you can refresh the web page, and use your new TNAS PC client to search for your tnas again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

TMroy wrote:
> I see.
> Now just wait for the storage pool mounting, it is going to take about 10
> minutes which depends on your disk size. 10 minutes later, if the web page
> still keep loading, then you can refresh the web page, and use your new
> TNAS PC client to search for your tnas again.

Done that and it's been trying to load for an hour!!
titan5

Post by titan5 »

TMroy wrote:
> We are very sorry for the issues caused by the new TOS 5 system. We've
> collected all issues you reported, and most of them will be fixed in recent
> future updates. Thank you for your cooperation!

After several failed attempts to install TOS 5.x I have had to return to TOS 4.x to get the NAS operational again. Good thing I backed up my data files as the TOS 4.x install forced a reformatting of RAID drives. Now I get to reinstall my APPS (that are now accessible again).

Not sure what you guys did with the TOS 5 upgrade but installing it is a nightmare.

As a side note, at least TNAS 5.x can see the NAS again with TOS 4.x on it.
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

If I turn off and restart the TNAS I get an IP address of 169.254.254 and the browser can't find it, so I have to reboot my router in order to get a sensible IP address back again and then if I try the whole thing again all I get is the blue circle for another hour with no progress, can't even get back to installing the older TOS4, so I am stuck!
Can't I just remove the USB drive and load the boot image directly to it, and then plug it back in and try booting again? Or does it have to be loaded via the network interface? This is getting vert tedious!
titan5

Post by titan5 »

titan5 wrote:
> TMroy wrote:
> > We are very sorry for the issues caused by the new TOS 5 system. We've
> > collected all issues you reported, and most of them will be fixed in recent
> > future updates. Thank you for your cooperation!
>
> After several failed attempts to install TOS 5.x I have had to return to TOS 4.x to
> get the NAS operational again. Good thing I backed up my data files as the TOS 4.x
> install forced a reformatting of RAID drives. Now I get to reinstall my APPS (that
> are now accessible again).
>
> Not sure what you guys did with the TOS 5 upgrade but installing it is a nightmare.
>
> As a side note, at least TNAS 5.x can see the NAS again with TOS 4.x on it.

EDIT: While TNAS 5.x can see and login to the NAS with TOS 4.x - SMB file management from the TNAS 5.x will not work, it simply shows no file structure at all. (I have enabled all SMB in Win 11 settings).
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

OK I managed to get to finally install the bootloader and TOS5 by using the older TNAS PC, but now I cannot find the TNAS on my network, can ping it and can't ftp it, tried turning off and also reset the router but still no go, guess I can pull the discs yet again and try that but getting to the end of my tether now.