4.2.32 Strange problem!

Permissions, domain/LDAP, power, security, notification and more.
Tricky
Great Britain

4.2.32 Strange problem!

Post by Tricky »

Having not used my F5-221 for a little while, I want to ask was the update online? As I don't ever remember updating it manually, and the result was that I couldn't contact it on my network so after a restart I found that the password was wrong so ended up re-initializing to get contact and reset the password, yet the system still remembered the password but wouldn't acknowledge it as correct!
And for some reason after the reset I still couldn't access which caused me to try it again and get the notice that the HDD would be wiped so needless to say I didn't proceed but decided instead to just put all the drives back in and start normally and found that all was OK again...these dam TNAS are as flaky as hell!
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: 4.2.32 Strange problem!

Post by sianderson »

i know mines ARM based so not on that same version, but i havent done a manual update for a while now as in its not automatic, but i go into the update option and it tells me theres an update and do i want to do it, but its still a human decision to do it

it sounds like for some reason it cant detect your hard drive or you have some sort of corruption (one of the downfalls of TM that it has no dedicated OS space to run from) so things like this dont happen
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky

TOS 4.2 is not able to update automatically, just no way to do it. it could be possible that you forgot your password after a long time, please keep your password in a secure place.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Certainly not a forgotten password, and I have seen other updates show up for installation in the updates before, are you sure that it's not possible for the update to auto upload? As when I finally got it all back, all the apps had to be reloaded.
Or is this another instance of the same problem with the last TOS 5 update, which basically locked me out of my other machine and made me give up on testing.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Such a feature has not been developed in TOS 4.2, I am sure about it.
As we can't reproduce such an issue, if you can help us to reproduce it, it will be much appreciated.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky
Tricky wrote: 27 May 2022, 00:57 Basically just letters and numbers, but problem solved, on restart the TNAS was visible on the network but on trying to connect the IP address was completely different IE not my network and every time I tried to input my network address it returned "wrong password" the solution was to completely reset the network and TNAS but don't understand just how the TNAS could come up with a completely random network address.
We would like to know more details about your issue. 1. Did you mean you were able to log in again after a reboot? 2. What did you mean "on trying to connect the IP address was completely different IE not my network" ? I can't get you. 3. What did you mean "every time I tried to input my network address it returned "wrong password" ? where did you input your network address? in your web browser address bar or in TNAS PC change IP menu? do you have a screenshot of the returned message? 4. when such issue happens, can you find out your device with the TNAS PC client? and the IP address showing in the list is correct? 5. Have you ruled out that there is an ip conflict in your local area network? Thank you very much!
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Basically after the update and on trying to access the TNAS via the TNASPC application the TNAS would show up but with an IP address that is totally different from my network IE not 192 which is the router so something starting with 165 or 285 and on clicking connect it would go to the change IP address screen and on inputting the correct IP and password it would say that incorrect password.
The password was correct and the TNAS original network address was static, so there should be no conflict, and even so the router is not capable of assigning an IP address of those numbers.
And yes, once I rebooted the TNAS and router, i could access the TNAS with the correct IP address.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I see your issue now.
Your tnas failed to obtain a correct IP address from your DHCP server, this the reason why you see a strange IP address start with 169. As your tans not able to be assigned a correct IP address, so you are not able to change its IP too.You need check if your router configuration is correct and if lease time also be set correctly.
This article may be helpful for your reference.
https://www.minitool.com/news/169-ip-address.html
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

TMroy wrote: 03 Jun 2022, 18:28 I see your issue now.
Your tnas failed to obtain a correct IP address from your DHCP server, this the reason why you see a strange IP address start with 169. As your tans not able to be assigned a correct IP address, so you are not able to change its IP too.You need check if your router configuration is correct and if lease time also be set correctly.
This article may be helpful for your reference.
https://www.minitool.com/news/169-ip-address.html
That article only applies to a Windows machine and there is no way to reconfigure the TNAS once it's lost it IP address other than a restart of the router even if it's previously been assigned a static IP address, my router is configured fine it's only the TNAS that I have any problems with in that respect and its only usually after an update, the rest of the time a network reset will not cause any problems with the TNAS address.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

restartip.png