TOS 4.2.17 is released for update

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
Charlie_Croker

Re: TOS 4.2.17 is released for update!

Post by Charlie_Croker »

I upgraded to 4.2.17 (F2-422/stock 4GB) and also have issues with fan control.

I noticed this morning that the speed of my Drives had reached 53C (For comparison, the same drives in my QNAP TS-453A, currently indexing files with QUMagie, are at 34C) the Fan speed was 10RPM

I immediately checked Fan control, which was on Smart Fan, I switched this to full speed and fan ramped up, but after 300 seconds (approx), even though HDD temps were 46C, the fan went down to 10RPM (Despite being set to full speed)

I have tried High, Medium, Low and Smart and al exhibit the same behaviour, they run for approx 300 seconds, then revert to 10RPM irrespective of Temperature. This is fundamentally wrong.

You need to get your software engineers on this PDQ, as the damage to the brand if multiple users start getting burnt out HDDs for such a simple issue would be immense.

I have switched the NAS off as I have no confidence at present in its ability to not make very expensive paperweights of 2x12Tb HDDs.
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Isu000

Post by Isu000 »

Yes I have the same problem with fan after few minutes drops to 10 rpm, i test in low, medium and higt speed and in the few minutes fan drop to 10 rpm.
F5-221
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

We apologize for the issue! we are verifying it and will release an update to fix it soon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Isu000

may I know your disk temperature? would you show a screen shot too?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Isu000

Post by Isu000 »

I have also turned off the NAS, the temperature of the hard drives was always above 54, I modify the fan operating mode and it starts to work for a few minutes then it stops again I modify the fan mode and it works for a while so it drops to 40 but after a short while it went up to 52 again, that's why I turned it off, the nas has 5 hd! I don't want to break hard drives.
F5-221
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Update.

After the issue where temperature got so high the NAS became unresponsive, I shut it down and removed drives from the NAS to allow them to cool down, this was left like this for at least an hour.
I then planned to do a latest backup of data then remove drives and place them in my QNAP and bin the Terramaster.
imagine my surprise that suddenly the fans are working OK, after 9 hours and 46 mins of operation, the temps are normal (see attachment), now I cannot explain this, but whether it somehow reset the system with the NAS being powered off (rather than a restart?) or it was to do with removing drives, I cannot say. All I do know is its working normally as of now.

The two attachments show the NAS working normally and the temps I was experiencing (They actually went higher than this, but I was concentrating on protecting the drives, rather than screenshooting).
Attachments
screenshot_247.png
screenshot_249.png
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Update, despite my earlier posts, I can now confirm Smart Fan Control is broken, setting fan to high is the only setting where I can be (90%) confident it won't drop to 10RPM.
billyBob

Post by billyBob »

I concur, the smart fan control does not work.

my hard drives are at 44 Celsisus during moderate activity. Before this update, they were 32/33 Celsisus :(

After updating, SSH was enabled :(
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

billyBob wrote: 09 Nov 2021, 00:00 I concur, the smart fan control does not work.

my hard drives are at 44 Celsisus during moderate activity. Before this update, they were 32/33 Celsisus :(

After updating, SSH was enabled :(
Thanks for the heads up, SSH was enabled on mine too. (I know it was previously disabled).
I'm really struggling to keep the faith with TM now. SSH and Fan control are basics, if they can't get them right, in the age of ransomware, (Lots of QNAP owners are aware of the damage that can be done).
deejc

Post by deejc »

I’m running the latest and keeping a close eye on my fans / drives and don’t see any issues
F2-220 WITH 2 x WD RED 2TB RUNNING 4.2.17