URGENT 4.2.14 - AGAIN PROBLEMS WITH PLEX

Discussion about Plex and Emby Media Server
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: URGENT 4.2.14 - AGAIN PROBLEMS WITH PLEX

Post by sianderson »

TMroy wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 20:12 I would like to tell all communities, in the past three years, there are a total of over 100Kpcs TNAS sold globally, Thousands of users running plex media server on their TNAS devices. I regret to learn that there are a few users whose plex is abnormal in use.
personally i got sick of Plex breaking after every update of TOS that i ditched it and now quite happily use the DLNA media server that ok it has an annoying delete the database and re-create it does seem to work by itself

i just wanted to add that while you may have sold that amount globally a lot of people may have just used something else instead of plex or just put up with the hassle every time you release a new update, they have to spend time removing plex and re-creating the database, it is a real issue so just to dismiss it is really bad practice

especially if you look at what has actually changed, in every case it is TOS that has been the factor that has changed, PLEX has not changed but clearly something the TOS update is doing that causes problems
F2-210

deejc

Post by deejc »

Or they maybe like me, and not really had much problems
I had 1 issue where plex went mad, otherwise it’s been completely ok for me with every update
F2-220 WITH 2 x WD RED 2TB RUNNING 4.2.17
MissionAborted

Post by MissionAborted »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MissionAborted
TMSupport wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 09:43 Hi! You need to modify the permissions of the folder, give the user the read and write permissions of the folder. Right-click to select properties, and then modify the permissions.
Thank you. I was looking for the permissions for these folders in the Control Panel. Thanks for the simple fix.
mysticusa

Post by mysticusa »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sianderson
TMroy wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 23:55 If I tell you that the change of the recent updates does not involve plex at all, there are more users with the plex working fine after the update, what are your thoughts?
i would recommend you/team to suggest to stop live/running plex services (maybe third party services) to be stopped before updates! Sometimes they do cause corruptions to plex's db! I came accross this twice one in an old update a year ago and another during raid upgrade! You cant say the changes doesnt cause plex issues because some users may be not using the plex in the background during the update. The updates indeed can cause problems if the said apps are running during the update process! When you/team keep saying it is not our fault bla bla bla, it causes people to be irritated/put off/detered from future updates/hardware purchases! It would be best if updates were to find and stop all third party services before the update started to prevent further damage/corruptions, and after an update restart the who system to ensure everything restarted correctly. This would help eliminate unaware users to have headaches. maybe best to have an option (by default to select to stop) for pro/non pro users to stop all 3rd party services to be stopped before the update
francorg01

Post by francorg01 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Hi, after updating to 4.2.14 my Plex server broke and remained broken also after upgrading to 4.2.15 Seems a DNS problem as in the Plex log files I see a lot of these errors:

Code: Select all

Sep 13, 2021 09:00:50.949 [0x7f8e787fab38] WARN - [CERT/OCSP] HTTP error requesting GET http://r3.o.lencr.org/MFMwUTBPME0wSzAJBgUrDgMCGgUABBRI2smg%2ByvTLU%2Fw3mjS9We3NfmzxAQUFC6zF7dYVsuuUAlA5h%2BvnYsUwsYCEgQn9PAZ9ix3s73fmefZAI40AA%3D%3D (6, Couldn't resolve host name) (Could not resolve host: r3.o.lencr.org)

Code: Select all

Sep 13, 2021 09:00:50.979 [0x7f8e7864fb38] WARN - [MediaProviderManager] HTTP error requesting GET https://plex.tv/media/providers?X-Plex-Token=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (6, Couldn't resolve host name) (Could not resolve host: plex.tv)
I was able to at leas bring back online the Plex server by manually adding this record to the hosts file: 99.81.153.144 plex.tv But I cannot add/refresh metadata as it keeps getting name resolution errors. I have looked for this on the plex forums and I only found that it is a problem with linux distribution with some versions of specific system libraries related to dns resolution and IPv6, but I am not an expert. My network config seems fine, with google dns server 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Do you have any suggestion or fix? Thank you, Roberto
deejc

Post by deejc »

Check how many servers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf if it’s more than the 2 google dns servers delete the others and save it and see if that helps
francorg01

Post by francorg01 »

deejc wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 16:00 Check how many servers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf if it’s more than the 2 google dns servers delete the others and save it and see if that helps
Thank you.
In my resolv.conf there are the 2 google dns server and my router's IP.
If I edit the resolv.conf file do I have to restart the TNAS and/or restart Plex server?

Roberto
deejc

Post by deejc »

No you shouldn’t have to, remove your routers IP if it’s not doing DNS and see if it starts working better
francorg01

Post by francorg01 »

deejc wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 16:12 No you shouldn’t have to, remove your routers IP if it’s not doing DNS and see if it starts working better
Leaving just 2 DNS servers in my resolv.conf doesn't seem to solve the situation.

I am looking the plex debug logs for hostnames not resolved and manually adding them to my hosts file... not the ideal solution but I hope to find a fix sooner or later...
deejc

Post by deejc »

Maybe restart plex again now you only have 2 servers for DNS