Plex and TOS 5 upgrade challenges

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
Dadbart

Plex and TOS 5 upgrade challenges

Post by Dadbart »

So I went ahead and updated to TOS 5 today. I had backed up my Plex appdata from 4.2.39 install. Installed Plex and then restored the backup. All went great it appeared at first. Everything was there just as I had left it. Then I found that none of the media would play. File cannot be found error. It appears the 5.0 update changed how the volumes and folder locations are enumerated, at least for Plex. Ok, I went to edit the library locations in Plex and I could only see the top folder for my media of the location on my TNAS and a scan would not detect anything. Then I found that the permission for the folders had been changed to Deny for Media, which Plex is. Added that back in and I was able to edit the folder locations for everything. Plex scanned the files and fixed the locations without losing all my custom work on posters, etc. All good now. Not as easy as I would have hoped for that part, but resolved now.

I mainly post this to help anyone else who might encounter a similar issue.
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Re: Plex and TOS 5 upgrade challenges

Post by Gandalf1369 »

Thank you. I've made a copy of this post in the hopes that it helps me when I finally bite the bullet and do the upgrade myself.
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.40)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
ralexlaptop

Re: Plex and TOS 5 upgrade challenges

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Dadbart
Just a Note: Once you upgrade to TOS 5, you will no longer be able to download Plex Media Server updates from the Plex website. https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downlo ... dia-server
TOS 5 Option.jpg
TOS 5 Option.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 1843 times