Please help a confused newbie!

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
macronencer

Please help a confused newbie!

Post by macronencer »

Hoping some kind soul will guide me on this. I got an F5-221 NAS and I want to watch ripped DVDs from it (MKV format, since viewing full DVD folders is apparently not even a thing any more, which annoys me but that's a separate gripe!).

I'm struggling to understand what I need in terms of an HDMI-connected TV so that I can browse my media from the TV. I asked this question about a TV on Amazon:
"Will this allow access to a terramaster media server that uses upnp/dlna, over hdmi cable?"

and Panasonic responded with:
"The television will only recognize AV signals through the HDMI connection. If your media server is able to output a AV signal via HDMI into a display such as this television, it should work."

I have no clue what I need to do. Will this TV let me select and play the files, or not? Since the NAS doesn't come with a remote, there must be SOME way of choosing what to watch.

Apologies for my ignorance, but I haven't even watched TV since 2004 (I watch only DVDs and YouTube), so I'm WAY out of the loop with how TVs work :)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Please help a confused newbie!

Post by TMSupport »

If your TV supports DLNA, you can download multimedia server, plex, emby in TOS system to use. Connection via HDMI is not required.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macronencer

Post by macronencer »

Aha! OK, that makes sense now. I thought the HDMI was obligatory, but I'd missed the fact that some TVs work on the LAN :)

Thanks very much. Now I just need to choose the right TV... a daunting task :D
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

You can use a media device (such as Amazon Firestick or Apple TV). Just install PLEX on your NAS, insert the media device into one of your TV’s HDMI and connect media device to your network and you can watch movies/videos/photos/TV shows and listen to music on your TV.
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
macronencer

Post by macronencer »

Charlie_Croker wrote: 06 May 2022, 03:37 You can use a media device (such as Amazon Firestick or Apple TV). Just install PLEX on your NAS, insert the media device into one of your TV’s HDMI and connect media device to your network and you can watch movies/videos/photos/TV shows and listen to music on your TV.
Many thanks! At the moment I've got an Android TV and I'm just using VLC to access the TNAS (I tried the TV's own media browser but it didn't read the subtitle streams from the MKVs, which is pretty bad). If I run into any problems, then at least I have your solution as well to fall back on.