Plex Transcoding Problem - F2-221

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
Bouglo

Plex Transcoding Problem - F2-221

Post by Bouglo »

Good morning all,

I have a Terra Master F2-221 (4.2.12) with two single disk hard drives.

I have a problem with PLEX and software transcoding and Hardaware.

Plex is installed on my NAS version available on the terramaster application service.

I installed the PLEX clients on two laptops, an ACER R11 chromebook with Celeron N3150 and a somewhat old I3 laptop that runs Ubuntu.
The two PCs are not powerful enough to play my movies live (H265 4K HDR) so transcoding is necessary so I thought of Plex.

I configured the server to activate transcoding (I also took a plex pass for a month to test the Hardware transcoding), I tested everything automatically and also put the transcoding options on hyper fast

I set the clients to automatic for LAN quality and also forced the quality to 1080P HD down to the lowest level of 720p.

Result: While reading, I have on the dashboard the display of transcoding (HW) but the reading is jerky. Playing 5sec / Buffering 10sec.

On the other hand no worries from the 480P in quality.

I told myself that the NAS was not powerful enough despite the intel processor and I did a test using the TerraMaster Multimedia server application.
I have enabled transcoding on the terramaster app which allows DLNA streaming.
I used VLC on the chromebook, I looked for a big video on the DLNA server and I took some H265 4K with Dolby vision + HDR10 encoding and a dolby atmos soundtrack and the result and without calling CA WORKS, the NAS transcodes the H265 4K video to H264 1080p and no playback issues.

Do you have any idea on this problem?
I still found a backup solution but I would have liked to have a more warm interface with the images of the films instead of having to browse a DLNA folder.

thank you
Laurent
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Plex Transcoding Problem - F2-221

Post by TMroy »

As the native DLNA mediaserver works well, it seems there is no issue with your networking connection, I am not sure what could be the problem on your plex at this moment. But one thing I need to remind you, to enable plex hardware transcoding, you need to purchase plex pass, please make sure you did that.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Bouglo

Re: Plex Transcoding Problem - F2-221

Post by Bouglo »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
Thank you for the feedback,
I took the Plex Pass for a month before doing the tests. And I have the "hw" logo which appears when playing with transcoding.