CPU Maxed out

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
fpsking

CPU Maxed out

Post by fpsking »

Hey can anyone help me out i have got loads of films that refuse to play i use plex below are 2 examples the one on the left works fine the one on the right maxes out the cpu and doesn't play properly can anyone shed any light on this both are mkv files.

TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: CPU Maxed out

Post by TMRyan »

Maybe you can try to edit the PLEX WEB video quality and other settings in the PLEX settings.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

fpsking wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 19:51 Hey can anyone help me out i have got loads of films that refuse to play i use plex below are 2 examples the one on the left works fine the one on the right maxes out the cpu and doesn't play properly can anyone shed any light on this both are mkv files.

the obvious difference is H264 vs H265 encoding on the screenshots, as a test could you re-encode the file using handbrake to H264 and does that then resolve the issue as that would then point to an issue with decoding the newer standard

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810 ... supported/
Native video support is typically (but not always) limited to the MP4 container, H.264 video encoding, and AAC audio.

4K (UHD) Direct Play Video Support

Some 4K (ultra high definition) devices are recognized by the Plex app. We’re working to bring 4K playback support to other devices, too. 4K/UHD content matching the following will Direct Play on supported devices:

Container: MP4
Resolution: 3840×2160 or smaller
Video Encoding: HEVC (H.265)
Video Frame Rate: 30fps
Video Bit Depth: 8

4K content not matching the above properties will be transcoded to 1080p. Transcoding 4K content is a very intensive process and will require a powerful computer running Plex Media Server.
F2-210

fpsking

Post by fpsking »

Thanks for the reply

i can confirm if i convert my videos to H264 they work fine but i have far to many videos for that to be an option and it would take forever,
i also tried a few other apps like Emby server same issue as plex cpu 100% and dosnt play well dlna works fine.

All the videos i have are all 1080p or 720p nothing great and even in they screenshots you can see the bitrate of the h264 is more :/ so i am at a loss
on what to do with it.

anyone got any ideas on how to make this work without converting every single video as having this TNAS is pointless if all i can do is use it for storage.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Are there many such videos that cannot be played normally?
Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?
You can send an email to our tech team: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=608
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

what drive you installed in your tnas? please make sure your drive is healthy.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
fpsking

Post by fpsking »

I have 2x Seagate 4 TB IronWolf 3.5 and they are brand new got them along with the TNAS and they are reading healthy i sent support an email along with a small sample file that way they can see exactly what is going on sort of thing.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Can you download videos that cannot be played normally to your computer and play them normally?
Maybe some of your files have been damaged, causing the system to get stuck.
Of course, there may be bad sectors in the hard disk due to some reasons.
TOS has limited ability to check hard drives. You can use professional software to check whether your hard drives are healthy after backing up data.
How to know exactly whether your hard drive is healthy?viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125