DLNA File Limit

Photo, music, video management; Video streaming, decoding, transcoding.
DJ_Smelly

DLNA File Limit

Post by DJ_Smelly »

Is there a limit to the number of files DLNA can index on a F4-210 running 4.1.32 with 2x 4TB Ironwolfs in RAID1?

When I tried to index about 32,000 picture, music and video files it would sometimes take several restarts to get the F4-210 to index all the files.

When I added an additional 21,000 files, the F4-210 would stop responding (lights on, lost network connection, power button does not turn unit off). Even restarting by turning the power off and on would result in it not responding after a couple of minutes.

I have now reduced it to just 600 video files and it has been stable for the past 4 days.

Am I asking for too much of the F4-210?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: DLNA File Limit

Post by TMroy »

Well, I can not tell the exact number how many media the F4-210 can handle, this will related to the media type, size, definition, quantity, allocation..., absolutely, if you folder contains more media files, that will consump more resources.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
BigDad

Post by BigDad »

I am experiencing similar problems with the DLNA server stopping its indexing process, apparently due to trying to handle too many entries. I have a little over 1TB and 57,700+ music files. I was able to get them all indexed when I had the album art (display cover) feature turned off after a couple of tries (disable/enable DLNA, restart the F2-210) but once I enabled that feature it quits after indexing only about half of the files. If this is normal I need to return the device for a more stable one.

Please let me know if this is considered normal operation, thanks.
BigDad

Post by BigDad »

Are there alternatives to using the built-in DLNA server? Serviio running in Docker, possibly? I'd really rather not go through the return process if I don't have to...
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Actually the index quit from processing is not because of media file quantity, it is because of uncompatible media title or other form factors. During DLNA media indexing, DLNA server will scan and read media title and information of all media files one by one, but the reading may be stuck and timeout when it meet an ucompatible or broken media title. This is why it quit and you need to restart it again.

Frist of all, you need to make sure there are not bad sectors on your hard drives which may cuase several individual media files metadata crash, that will lead to indexing timeout.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
BigDad

Post by BigDad »

Well, I solved the problem by uninstalling the DLNA Server app and installing Plex server along with enabling its DLNA feature. Scanning 57,000 files for the one that caused a problem is crazy without a logfile somewhere to tell you where to start.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}BigDad
Thank you for your feedback. We will also verify it at our side.