Seagate Exos Drives

Hardware compatibility like hard drive, SSD, memory module, Wi-Fi adapter.
StonyCreeker

Seagate Exos Drives

Post by StonyCreeker »

I realize that I’m sort of asking the same question in several ways, but I’m going to do it anyway. :roll:

What makes Seagate Exos drives be listed as “Applicable, not recommended”? What do they lack that the recommended drives have? And/or what extra “features” do they have that make them unsuitable?

What do you mean by Applicable, if they’re not recommended? Do you mean that, although they will work better than the other not recommended drives, they still do not meet the full requirements you set for “Recommended” drives? If so, again, which requirements are they missing?

To generalize further, since I realize that you will not have tested every drive made by every manufacturer, is it reasonably safe to choose a drive in the EXACT same product line from the same manufacturer as those for which you’ve recommended all of the other drives in that line so long as you haven’t singled it out as not recommended?

And finally, what happens if I do use non-recommended drives? Does the TNAS not work or is is simply less reliable? Does it void my warranty or mean you won’t offer me support?

Thanks in advance for responding to my annoying need to understand why things are the way they are!
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Seagate Exos Drives

Post by TMS »

Seagate Exos drives work a bit noisy, the consequences of use non-recommended drives are unpredictable, but it will affect the user experience,so it’s better to use the recommended hard drive model.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Using a non-recommended drive could potentially bring you issues or be not reliable, for example, we do not recommend green desktop drive for RAID configuration in NAS or DAS. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/artic ... rives-602/

However, using non-recommended drives will not invalidate the warranty and will not be denied technical support, In this case, if your device fails, the first option that needs to be eliminated may be the hard drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
rightLANE

Post by rightLANE »

StonyCreeker wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 19:58 I realize that I’m sort of asking the same question in several ways, but I’m going to do it anyway. :roll:

What makes Seagate Exos drives be listed as “Applicable, not recommended”? What do they lack that the recommended drives have? And/or what extra “features” do they have that make them unsuitable?

What do you mean by Applicable, if they’re not recommended? Do you mean that, although they will work better than the other not recommended drives, they still do not meet the full requirements you set for “Recommended” drives? If so, again, which requirements are they missing?

To generalize further, since I realize that you will not have tested every drive made by every manufacturer, is it reasonably safe to choose a drive in the EXACT same product line from the same manufacturer as those for which you’ve recommended all of the other drives in that line so long as you haven’t singled it out as not recommended?

And finally, what happens if I do use non-recommended drives? Does the TNAS not work or is is simply less reliable? Does it void my warranty or mean you won’t offer me support?

Thanks in advance for responding to my annoying need to understand why things are the way they are!
When I first set up my F2-221 I had two 4TB ironwolf drives installed in Raid 1. When I hit over 90% I replaced them with a pair of 10TB Exos X14 drives. I agree with the response from TMS that they are a bit noisy, but the ironwolfs seemed just as loud. During low/idle use the Exos seek a little less so are maybe a little quieter, but during actual use I can't tell much of any difference. Obviously I haven't done extensive testing on them, but they are designed for Nas type applications with an impressive MTBF (way longer than I can imagine hitting myself). I haven't seen any downsides from the previous drives so far and am totally happy with the purchase.
F2-221 2x 10TB Exos X14