F5-420 Fan wiring

Hardware compatibility like hard drive, SSD, memory module, Wi-Fi adapter.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: F5-420 Fan wiring

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}justsimon
Hello, Which mode did you choose? As far as the minimum and maximum speeds are concerned, this is the normal speed.
speed.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

{L_BUTTON_AT}justsimon
Hi,1. Please check if the wires that control the PWM signal and PWM speed signal are reversed ( TNAS motherboard)
2.you can buy a fan without PWM and with a fixed speed.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

I tried that when I initially switched it over to the Noctua fans, they'd spin once and then turn off.
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

You should be able to lave the PMW leads not attached and have the fan run at fixed speed, you could also fit a variable resistor and be able to adjust the fan speed yourself.......having said that I am sure I asked about fans on another thread and on some models, although they have the four pin connector the speed control is not used and a simple voltage variation is used to modulate the speed....worth checking.
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

Interesting...

This isn't the biggest problem in the world, the fans are working. Though it would be a bit nice if TOS informed me of what RPM they're running.

It would be even nicer if Terra-Master just used standard PWM connectors.
I get that they want to make as much money as possible, eg. Only use their RAM, only use their fans, etc.
But using proprietary stuff like this just leads to customers going elsewhere. It's not a smart business decision long-term, and it's usually direction only taken by premium product producers that can afford the arrogance as they know you won't go somewhere else due to <insert point of difference>.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

In fact, we probably don't offer a fan purchase service, because we didn't expect anyone to replace the fan.
If there is a problem with the fan on the user's equipment, it can be repaired or replaced.
By the way, can you tell me why you need to replace the fan?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

As previously said the std fans are quite noisy and if people used the TNAS in a room where they want quiet it necessitates changing the fans to a quieter model....this will always happen with any sort of equipment, I changed the fan on a premium home surveillance recorder because the std item was just too noisy for the environment.
So unless premium noiseless fans are fitted from the start this is going to be an ongoing problem, I would start listening to your customers now before they decide to go elsewhere.
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

Tricky wrote: 10 Feb 2021, 18:11 As previously said the std fans are quite noisy and if people used the TNAS in a room where they want quiet it necessitates changing the fans to a quieter model....this will always happen with any sort of equipment, I changed the fan on a premium home surveillance recorder because the std item was just too noisy for the environment.
So unless premium noiseless fans are fitted from the start this is going to be an ongoing problem, I would start listening to your customers now before they decide to go elsewhere.
Nailed it