Change safely the current RAID

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
MordaniMeillis

Change safely the current RAID

Post by MordaniMeillis »

Hi everyone.

I have a TNAS F4-210 with a WD Red 8TB hard drive. I want to add a second hard drive just like the first one. I want to put both disks with a RAID 0 configuration. In the near future, I want to add a third and fourth HDD and put them all in RAID 5.
Now, I only have a single disk, so I have it as a single board. I need to know if changing from single board to RAID 0 might have any damage to disks and / or recorded data. And in the same way, I need to know if that future change from RAID 0 to RAID 5 could have any damage to the disks and / or the recorded data.

Thank you for your attention.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Change safely the current RAID

Post by TMSupport »

Hi, Single drive could only be upgraded to RAID1 with a new drive without losing data in the first drive. And RAID1 could be upgraded to RAID5 later without losing data of RAID1. But Single drive could not be changed to RAID 0 with a new drive without losing data. Neither could RAID 0 be changed to RAID 5 without losing data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)