Increasing Raid 1 Storage Capacity

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Increasing Raid 1 Storage Capacity

Post by Gandalf1369 »

I have a F2-220 (2 disk) NAS running Plex. It has been almost 2 years and it has performed very well. I have two 5GB hard drives and am at 72% capacity right now. The version of TOS is 4.1.30.

I have a couple of questions about swapping those two 5GB drives for larger ones without having to redo my entire Plex movies and database.

1. Is it possible with a Raid 1 configuration to even do what I'm thinking of ??? i.e. replacing the 5GB drives with larger ones.
2. If it is possible exactly how can I do it ?? Is it just as easy as replacing the original drives, one by one, with the larger capacity drives. Would doing this give me more storage space once the Raid 1 has been rebuilt ??

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks . .
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.40)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Increasing Raid 1 Storage Capacity

Post by TMSupport »

Just as you expected,you can swap the one drivre at a time for your raid1。When the first drive is synchronized,your can swap the next drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Post by Gandalf1369 »

Thank you for the quick reply.

Are you saying that it is possible to increase the storage space in my Raid 1 setup by simply replacing the hard drives one by one ?? In other words, I currently have two 5GB drives in the F2-220 - the Raid 1 configuration gives me an actual storage capacity of 5GB. If I replace those hard drives with 8GB drives (again one by one and allowing the Raid to rebuilt itself after each drive replacement) will I then have a reported storage space of 8GB ?? Will I have to do anything within TOS to enable the extra storage to be recognized??

Sorry if I am being dense but I want to make sure before I go ahead and replace the drives.

Thank you.
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.40)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Your understanding is correct.
But I don’t know how you got the 5GB drive?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)