Unable to retrieve data on USB disk

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
michaels2408

Unable to retrieve data on USB disk

Post by michaels2408 »

Good day. I recently had some issue with my Terra-Master F2-210 and am having trouble trying to re-initialize the system. Problem, I have some data stored on a 3gb hard drive via a USB drive that was connected to the NAS while it was functioning. I need the data off this drive. I hooked the USB drive up to my main computer and it cannot be accessed. I looked at the partitions and as far as partition management is concerned this once active USB drive has no partition setup or active file system. ?????? So how can I get the data off this drive now since I am having difficulty with my F2-210?

Help is appreciated.
Regards,
Mike Schwartz
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Unable to retrieve data on USB disk

Post by TMSupport »

What's the issue when trying to re-initialize the F2-210?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

presumably its the same situation as mine, the file system the USB drive will be in is EXT4, this is not natively readable from a windows computer which is why your computer doesnt know what to do with it

you can either use a Linux based computer (which is the operating system of the Nas Drive) or use an additional program like Linux Reader
https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-rea ... 4-windows/

but i guess ultimately if you resolve the issue with the Nas drive booting then you will be able to access the usb hard drive through that to get at any of the data
F2-210

michaels2408

Post by michaels2408 »

Thanks for the advice. However, I am an avid Linux user, and tried to access the drive from Ubuntu 20x without any success. Also viewed the drive with gparted and it says there was no file system or partition. I am fed up with this device, its flaky. I have threads in other parts of this forum where I could not get the NFS to function correctly and had to ssh into the TNAS and modify the sys V init to ensure NFS always started correctly on reboots.

GRRRR... I need my files that are on this disk.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please follow the instructions here to reinstall your TOS and make your TNAS work first, viewtopic.php?f=75&t=423
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

michaels2408 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 23:23I have some data stored on a 3gb hard drive via a USB drive that was connected to the NAS while it was functioning. I need the data off this drive.
In fact internal disk are formatted for RAID usage, and so when you connect over USB, system will not mount it.
(I had similar issue when I wanted to migrate my older QNAP NAS disks onto my TNAS)
had to use mdadm tool to mount the disk and then rsync data in

You may read this
Typically:
mdadm --examine /dev/sdXX
mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md3 /dev/sdXX (md3 was determined in examine phase, could be another one)
mount -o ro /dev/md3 /mnt/toto (NAS may complain about another storage appearing)

rsync -niaHc /origfolder/ /copyfolder (to copy your data over, some reading)

umount /mnt/toto
mdadm -S /dev/md3

Hope this helps
(PS did you get NFS working at boot on 4.1.30, still broken for me :( )
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

macmpi wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 15:08 (PS did you get NFS working at boot on 4.1.30, still broken for me :( )
I would like to see what exactly happened to your device, would you like a remote session from our tech team to check the NFS for you?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
michaels2408

Post by michaels2408 »

macmpi wrote: 10 Sep 2020, 15:08 (PS did you get NFS working at boot on 4.1.30, still broken for me :( )

Yes. Something to do with the way NFS is being started in the Sys V init scripts. My fix...
ssh root@tnas.device.ip
I created a new symlink ln -s /etc/init.d/nfs /etc/rc.d/S100nfs
Now when the TOS reboots the nfs service starts up at the very end, and all shares are accessible every reboot without any further intervention.

Hope this can help your NFS reboot issue....

Cheers
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

michaels2408 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 04:41Hope this can help your NFS reboot issue....
Thanks, will try at next opportunity & report in original thread to keep things together in 1 single spot.

On your original matter, could you access your data on Ubuntu after RAID re-composition through mdadm ?
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients