System crashes while copying files

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
johnt107

System crashes while copying files

Post by johnt107 »

I have been trying to copy my files over to my new F5-221, 5x4TB drives, raid 6.

One batch of approx 1.1TB copied ok via USB.

My current batch on another USB 3 disk is having many issues. I have about 3.1TB in this batch. I tried using USB and TOS File Manager. I left it running overnight but it didn't complete. Using USB3 this should take less than a couple of hours. One frustration with using TOS File Manager is that it copies all of the files in parallel which means no large files completed even though it ran for many hours. The large files were all at the same approx size. So I cancelled this, wiped the share and try via ethernet and Windows Explorer which copies files one at a time.

TOS ver 4.1.27-2006301044
When copying over Gigabit ethernet from Windows 10 PC to NAS the transfer speed fell and rose a lot - from 110MB per sec to zero. I left it but after a while the NAS system froze after approx 70GB. Disk lights were all solid green, LAN light flashing but couldn't connect to NAS. Powered the NAS off and on, tried again but it froze again after approx 274GB.

Upgrade TOS to 4.1.30_2008051459_2008061157
Try again but NAS freezes after approx 510GB.

Is there anything I can do? DO I have a faulty unit?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: System crashes while copying files

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for your report.
From the information you have provided, followings maybe the reasons you failed to copy your files:
1. your network was not stable, it dropped during file transfer;
2. your are using un compatible hard drives or un healthy hard drives;
3. Some of your files name contain special characters.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
johnt107

Post by johnt107 »

1. your network was not stable, it dropped during file transfer; - Network was stable. I even ensured the PC and NAS were on the same Netgear switch to ensure minimum network interference.
2. your are using un compatible hard drives or un healthy hard drives; - Do you mean source drive or NAS drives? NAS drives are all showing healthy in NAS.
3. Some of your files name contain special characters. - I don't think any have special characters, and they copied fine when NAS was restarted.

Please advise re point 2.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

May I now what drive has been installed in your tnas?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
johnt107

Post by johnt107 »

They were Seagate Ironwolf. But no need to followup on this, I decided to return the unit.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

It’s pity that the issue still not clear before you decide to return it.
IanB

Post by IanB »

Same issue.
I bought a new f2-210. I installed 2 x 4tb drives and set it up. All went well and it maintained good connection for long enough that I decided I would load it up. I was replacing 1 dodgy NAS and that data transferred ok. The drive was quite quick so I decided to use it as a backup so I could upgrade a second NAS.
Loaded most of the data ok, but in the final stages it glitched and lost connection. The data transfer was incomplete. I was unable to access the drive via local browser (chrome and firefox) using TOS or by a windows mapping. It answered a ping ok. I rebooted the terramaster and after a while TOS and the windows map came back up.
I started to go through the files using the windows mapped drive, and found the directory where it stopped - and deleted that directory and contents. After that it went offline again.
It still shows all green lights, answers pings but will not load the TOS page with a browser. It will not respond to windows either.
What is wrong with It?
IanB

Post by IanB »

The drives are both ironwolf. Windows troubleshooter says my configuration is correct but the device is not responding.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Is it ok to let our technician check it remotely? Please send all the information to support(at)terra-master.com to ask for a technical check.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
ipestupinan

Post by ipestupinan »

I am having the same problem, i use this TNAS as back up for my NETGEAR ReadyNAS, if i try to copy files with SYNCBACK or Windows explorer system crashes after 10-15 munites, All lights are green but i cannot connect to TNAS Anymore, have to turn it off and on again to continue.