Disk Diagnostics & reports

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
macmpi

Disk Diagnostics & reports

Post by macmpi »

Hi,

It looks like one on my HD just died...or at least my NAS has identification problems with it.

So far my NAS (see config in signature) was running fine with those 2 identical drives.

However, looking at Hard Drive view, both are reported GOOD, albeit disk size of second is VERY suspect (I know for good disk 2 is 2TB, same model as Disk 1)
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 16.27.53.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 16.27.53.png (10.38 KiB) Viewed 3849 times

Looking for SMART info for each:
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 16.28.04.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 16.28.17.png
See: empty SMART info on DISK 2; identity completely erroneous.
How is that TOS does not determine Disk2 is problematic, and flag it as such in initial Hard Drive view?
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Disk Diagnostics & reports

Post by TMSupport »

Please advise which RAID did you create for your two HDDs? Is there any words showing that hard drive is missing at Storage pool?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

RAID1, btrfs, and yes system does report one missing drive (not saying which BTW).

As I'm looking for replacement, I do not see Toshiba P300 3To in recommended list yet (is CMR): any hint?
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

It's not in the list if you don't find it there. Barracuda is not a recommended HDD model too.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

Yes I knew about Barracuda Green, and they are on their way-out of my NAS now.

Toshiba P300 0.5 to 3TB (CMR DT01ACAxxx series, not 4-6TB that are SMR) are quite affordable, good performance & reliable drives, and are known to be supported by top competitors NAS markers.
What does it take to reference them into TerraMaster supported Drive database?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

As we did not test them yet, we will do it in near future and add them to list if they are compatible.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

TMroy wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 22:54we will do it in near future and add them to list if they are compatible.
Thanks for consideration, please keep me posted.

BTW, I noticed current recommended drive list includes (non-pro) WD Red SMR drives (EFAX reference), which is quite surprising in terms of performance for NAS usage...
Though they may be compatible for such usage, it seems quite unexpected to recommend such drives as SMR may have big performance hits.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The WD red SMR drives passed our testing with no issue, and they are officially offered from WD as NAS drives. Before WD take further action on these drives, we will remain current list unchanged.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

Sure they work ok (so are compatible), and can keep data safe.

But, if you want to keep good write performance, even when drives become occupied, you'd avoid SMR-based drive! (there's a class-actions going-on on that matter...).

They are OK for Archiving, but not to recommend for heavy write operations, such as in RAID service.
You may want to have compatible and recommend category, or add note to such devices.
(note: S*** has for instance removed some SMR such as WD20EFAX, WD60EFAX, even if marketed as NAS drives!)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

additional note: last June, WD felt forced to make some clarifying statement on Red lineup with EFRX (CMR) /EFAX (SMR) reference for all WD20/WD30/WD40/WD60 devices...