F5-420 Raid 5 HDD 1 Failed after restart and everything is gone

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Benini

F5-420 Raid 5 HDD 1 Failed after restart and everything is gone

Post by Benini »

Hey there
I bought a TerraMaster F5-420. I installed 5 of 2TB HDD from WD Enterprise Storage in raid 5 (recommended hdd from supported list)
After installing, everything worked great.
Today i wanted to install a lan Bond with Link Aggregation (didnt worked by the way) anyway:
I restarted my NAS, after restarting, my nas was NOT INITIALISED!!! I had to reinstall all and HDD1 was now a single volume.
Now: (i hope that it work!) deleted the new volume (2TB) and have seen that in my raid5 pool #1 is missing 1 HDD, so i deleted my second 2TB pool and added it to my pool #1 who is missing one hdd and clicked rebuild raid after defective hdd.
My Question:
Why had my nas reseted himself, kicked my hdd1 from the raid5 pool and everything was gone? It takes now more than 244h ?! to rebuild???
Benini

Re: F5-420 Raid 5 HDD 1 Failed after restart and everything is gone

Post by Benini »

OK, now after all data is lost, i reinstalled all the software. After uploading 20GB, a message appear; raid # 1 has an exception! Please rebuild your raid as fast as possible.
I know, when i powercylce now, the same is happening like yesterday and all my data is gone....
I dont understand.

Config:
Raid 5
5x 2TB WDC WD2003FYYS-xxxx
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Your HDD 1 was kicked from your RAID 5 that lead to your RAID fails to load. I can't tell you what happened to your HDD 1. We will release a new update to optimize this issue soon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Benini

Post by Benini »

Ok Thank you
By the way, all hdds have no problems and the condition is good, also S.M.A.R.T is very good.

So i have to wait and dont powercycle the nas?
Benini

Post by Benini »

until now (after 3 re-initializings :| ) and after the patch install (P 1.02) it seems, that my raid 5 is working properly and 200GB of uploading.
But: I cant dismiss the notification (its an old notification from the TOS before i re-initialize). Every new login its prompted as new :?

Summary;
So i've read the forum, that's an error in the actual tos version, many people have randomly re-initializes and data loss. Can you tell more, when the new version is coming and if the problem ist known by the engineers?

Attached Screenshots from Version with patch and the notification.

Also Attached my hdd.

Thank you
Attachments
Heres my actual version with the patch i installed (Caution: it re-initialized my nas)
Heres my actual version with the patch i installed (Caution: it re-initialized my nas)
version.png (19.67 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
notification cant dismiss (every time i login as unread)
notification cant dismiss (every time i login as unread)
notifi.png (8.94 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
my raid 5 config
my raid 5 config
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

There is one of your drive keep lossing connection from the system during reboot. When you check its health, it show good, but it just keep lossing communication with the system from time to time, it does not work properly like other drives. This drive is not good for creating a RAID 5.

What we did in the new update, was to increase frequency reload it again and again. But this is not a good solution, your data still unsafe becuase of this drive, failure potentially could be happen again in future. There are some similar cases have been reported, normally it can be totolly resolved by replacing a new drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Benini

Post by Benini »

for understanding:
hdd1 have to be replaced?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Just because drive replacement may cause your money, you need to decide it by your own. Or you can use the new update for a while, then you decide in near future.
Benini

Post by Benini »

Okay thank you
I replaced HDD #1
until now, all went fine.

Last two things:
how to delete a notification? An old notification is always as unread after logout / login. (even if i clicked on it)
How read out a complete system log?

Thank you
Attachments
old Unread notification, every time after logout / login same notification as unread
old Unread notification, every time after logout / login same notification as unread
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Your email has been received, and the remote session is arranged.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)