TRAID Dynamic Storage Tiering - NVME write/read cache to slower disks

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
gio

TRAID Dynamic Storage Tiering - NVME write/read cache to slower disks

Post by gio »

I'm looking to purchase a Terramaster unit to replace an old QNAP device... Looks like Terramaster doesn't have Storage Tiering ("qtier" in qnap lingo or Netgear ReadyNAS "tiers" https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files ... _Guide.pdf)

Does HyperCache support data tiering mode where NVME drives are default writeback cache and the most used files are stored in a portion of the NVME for read caching too?

If this is not a feature that exists; is it upcoming? Other competitors offer it - QNAP and Netgear but I want to switch to TRAID.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TRAID Dynamic Storage Tiering - NVME write/read cache to slower disks

Post by TMroy »

Yes, Hyper cache supports cache data tier.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
321PeteD

Post by 321PeteD »

I have an NVMe setup as a hyper cache; but it sounds like the HDD is always working.
I expected the OS to be able to run from the NVMe/SSD so the HDD can idle/power down.
I also stream background naptime/bedtime music/sounds to my toddler from the NAS. This also seems to keep the HDD spun up (but no read activity).
Model: F4-210
TOS: 4.2.43
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
1024 MB RAM

Model: F2-423
TOS: 5.1.67-00214
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
16384 MB RAM
Raid 0 - 2x1 TB NVMe Hyper Cache
gio

Post by gio »

TMroy wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 22:54 Yes, Hyper cache supports cache data tier.
Can you share with me a User Manual that explains Hyper Cache in detail? I was trying to find .pdf for the newest models with nvme but they seem to not be published. I checked model T6-423 and T9-450
gio

Post by gio »

321PeteD wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 02:39 I have an NVMe setup as a hyper cache; but it sounds like the HDD is always working.
I expected the OS to be able to run from the NVMe/SSD so the HDD can idle/power down.
I also stream background naptime/bedtime music/sounds to my toddler from the NAS. This also seems to keep the HDD spun up (but no read activity).
do you know if all reads are indeed coming from the nvme disks (cache hit %) even though the hdd are not going to sleep?

I think they should fix this if its a bug since I also wanted all my most recent data writes to go into nvme... maybe later at night on a schedule resync from NVME -> spinning disks to offload and free space on nvme.
321PeteD

Post by 321PeteD »

gio wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 07:04
321PeteD wrote: 01 Apr 2023, 02:39 I have an NVMe setup as a hyper cache; but it sounds like the HDD is always working.
do you know if all reads are indeed coming from the nvme disks (cache hit %) even though the hdd are not going to sleep?
I wish there was a log, dashboard, app, or graph that showed that information; but if there is I don't know of it.

Here are some of the graphs that are available. It doesn't tell me much.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ytophB9t53aP9gjz8
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
1024 MB RAM

1TB SSD
12TB HDD
16384 MB RAM
321PeteD

Post by 321PeteD »

1TB SSD
12TB HDD
1024 MB RAM

1TB SSD
12TB HDD
16384 MB RAM
gio

Post by gio »

TMroy wrote: 31 Mar 2023, 22:54 Yes, Hyper cache supports cache data tier.
Ok I think you misunderstood my question because I purchased a terramaster NAS to set it up and I do not see real "data tiering" storage model like QNAP https://youtu.be/vm5CFqWqB4Y?t=241 < explains it.

Netgear does this too: page 10 of https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files ... _Guide.pdf

Terramaster does not. https://imgur.com/a/iIzlbKy
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sorry, I see your question now. You can return your purchase because I gave you the wrong information.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
kiltsince

Post by kiltsince »

I use the NAS to stream soothing noises and music for my daughter to listen to as she naps or goes to sleep. This appears to maintain HDD rotation (but not read activity).
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: dumb ways to die (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)