Can't create and see 2nd storage pool

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Rillithain

Can't create and see 2nd storage pool

Post by Rillithain »

Hi, I purchased a terramaster FS-221 last week, with TOS 5.1.
I installed 3 x 8 TB drives in the system, created the TRAID, and waited for it to synchronize. I copied 2 TB of data to it after done, and that all works.

I then installed 2 x 3 TB drives into the system. The system sees them. I tried to create a second storage pool from the storage pool control panel menu page using the 3 TB drive, using RAID1 i think After going through the options and clicking create, nothing happened. So, i went to the Volume page in control panel, clicked new, create storage pool from the 3 TB, using raid1 and it started. I saw it synchronizing (note, it called it storage pool 3). I went to bed. I woke up in the morning, the alert says the RAID #1 completed; however, I can only see storage pool 1 in the list. I thought maybe it failed, but I can't see any errors. It also will not let me click on Create new anymore. Under Hard Disks, it shows all 5 still, and none as empty.
So, where is the other storage pool? How can i get it back or even just start over on those 2 hard drives when I can't see the pool?

I'm re-copying over my 2 TB of data to another location in case i have to wipe everything out and start over, but I'm hoping this isn't the case, because how often does this happen? I don't have enough storage space elsewhere if I had to do this with the 14 TB of data that I'll eventually have.

Thanks!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Can't create and see 2nd storage pool

Post by TMSupport »

This happens when using an incompatible hard drive. Please check whether your hard drive model is listed in the compatibility list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Rillithain

Post by Rillithain »

All 5 drives are on the list of compatible drives

WD80EFZZ are the 8 TB
WD30EFRX are the 3 TB
Rillithain

Post by Rillithain »

I tried to edit my last post, but don't see a way..

This is what lsblk is reporting.

sdd 8:48 0 2.7T 0 disk
|-sdd1 8:49 0 285M 0 part
|-sdd2 8:50 0 7.6G 0 part
| `-md9 9:9 0 7.6G 0 raid1 /
|-sdd3 8:51 0 1.9G 0 part
| `-md8 9:8 0 1.9G 0 raid1 [SWAP]
`-sdd4 8:52 0 2.7T 0 part
`-md1 9:1 0 2.7T 0 raid1
sde 8:64 0 2.7T 0 disk
|-sde1 8:65 0 285M 0 part
|-sde2 8:66 0 7.6G 0 part
| `-md9 9:9 0 7.6G 0 raid1 /
|-sde3 8:67 0 1.9G 0 part
| `-md8 9:8 0 1.9G 0 raid1 [SWAP]
`-sde4 8:68 0 2.7T 0 part
`-md1 9:1 0 2.7T 0 raid1

I don't mind starting over this time since i have everything backed up, but, i'm worried that these drives will still be reported as full.
Should I secure erase them both and try again?

2nd question. If I removed the storage pool on the 3 x 8 TB, and made one big storage pool of all 5 disks, is it going to give me more than the value of the 3 x 8s, or no since the 3 TB drives are smaller?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

After backing up the data, you can re-create them. First, you can re-insert the hard disk that cannot display the storage pool under the power-on state, and then create a non-protected array. After deletion, you can re-create the protected array.
When making a storage pool with five disks, the value is different when selecting different array types. You can decide whether to create a protected array or a non-protected array, one array or two arrays according to the importance of your data. If you choose non-protected array, you will have more storage space. If you choose protected array, your data will be more secure.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Rillithain

Post by Rillithain »

OK, i wiped everything out, used fdisk and removed all the partitions on those 2 drives, then deleted the first volume and storage pool i had created, and started over. Now i have 22 TB traid that uses all 5 disks.

From what I've been reading, if my terramaster device fails, the only way I can access the data, is through another terramaster of the same model, right?