How to change volume name

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
claudiocarli

How to change volume name

Post by claudiocarli »

Good morning.
On my f5-422 I have 2 volumes: Volume2 and Volume3
How can I rename Volume3 to Volume1?

When I installed application it was Volume1, now it is showed as Volume1, so my apps aren't recognized.
I tried to unmount Volume 3 and remounted it as Volume1 by terminal but the control panel show it again as Volume3 and if I restart the nas it remains Volume 3.

Thank you
claudiocarli

Re: How to change volume name

Post by claudiocarli »

claudiocarli wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 06:42 Good morning.

When I installed application it was Volume1, now it is showed as Volume1, so my apps aren't recognized.
I tried to unmount Volume 3 and remounted it as Volume1 by terminal but the control panel show it again as Volume3 and if I restart the nas it remains Volume 3.

Thank you
Sorry, I misspelled the names of the volumes.
When I installed application it was Volume1, now it is showed as Volume3, so my applications are no longer found.
claudiocarli

Re: Hao to change volume name

Post by claudiocarli »

I have resolved editing the file /etc/volume/volume.conf and simply changing volume names.
claudiocarli

Post by claudiocarli »

claudiocarli wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 07:43 I have resolved editing the file /etc/volume/volume.conf and simply changing volume names.
Never mind. On reboot, Volume1 reverts to Volume3 :cry:
What can I do?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

claudiocarli wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 08:01
claudiocarli wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 07:43 I have resolved editing the file /etc/volume/volume.conf and simply changing volume names.
What can I do?
Please describe how did you create these two volumes? volume 1 seems to be occupied.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
claudiocarli

Post by claudiocarli »

TMroy wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 10:23
What can I do?
Please describe how did you create these two volumes? volume 1 seems to be occupied.
I was reinstalling my Nas, restarting from scratch with a new installation on a new disk. So, I insert only the new disk and installed TOS 5, leaving the other hard disks containing the previous data unplugged.
After installation I have installed some applications, as Wordpress, Emby, Docker etc. All were on Volume1.
Then I inserted one of the old disks to copy its contents onto Volume1, and then formatted it for re-use.
I have manually mounted this disk from terminal as Volume3 and, ever by ssh terminal, I have copied all my files from here to the new Volume1.
It should be noted, however, that this disk that I have now mounted as Volume3, in the previous nas installation was also Volume1.
When I restarted the nas, it has recognized the Volume3 as Volume1 and vice versa, probably because somewhere the old disc retained the information that it was originally a Volume1.
This way, however, all installed applications have lost their original points, so I would need to make the nas recognise the volume names as I had set them during reinstallation.
Gremlin
Great Britain

Post by Gremlin »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

You have a valid point, but this is the internet and not everyone (myself included) has all the right answers. "Are you serious" is not a suitable response from TMSupport! Maybe a solution for the poster with the issue might be better.
F5-221 5.1.123, 8GB System Partition on 3 x 4TB Traid; 3TB EXT4
F2-221 TOS6 (Beta), 8GB System Partition on 2 x 6TB in Traid.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gremlin

You are right. There is no good solution at the moment, and we are still thinking about how to solve it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

claudiocarli wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 17:50
TMroy wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 10:23

What can I do?
I was reinstalling my Nas, restarting from scratch with a new installation on a new disk. So, I insert only the new disk and installed TOS 5, leaving the other hard disks containing the previous data unplugged.
After installation I have installed some applications, as Wordpress, Emby, Docker etc. All were on Volume1.
Then I inserted one of the old disks to copy its contents onto Volume1, and then formatted it for re-use.
I have manually mounted this disk from terminal as Volume3 and, ever by ssh terminal, I have copied all my files from here to the new Volume1.
It should be noted, however, that this disk that I have now mounted as Volume3, in the previous nas installation was also Volume1.
When I restarted the nas, it has recognized the Volume3 as Volume1 and vice versa, probably because somewhere the old disc retained the information that it was originally a Volume1.
This way, however, all installed applications have lost their original points, so I would need to make the nas recognise the volume names as I had set them during reinstallation.
You are running two different OS on your drives and boot together, such operation is not recommended.
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Revamp

Post by Revamp »

[at=TMzethar post_id=28125 time=1688091990 user_id=2405][/at]
claudiocarli wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 06:42 Good morning.

Thank you
  • Morning All,
I have this issue too when I initialised and rebuilt my NAS to accommodate the transfer of the current version of TOS5.x.x-x on to a single NVMe. Originally I only had one drive ( in bay 1) in the 4 x bays and this is where TOS5 originally sat on HDD1. To install TOS5 on the NVMe I had to remove all drives and have all bays empty then install the NVMe so the default install method would set it up as Pool 1 Volume 1 on the NVMe.
This was all good, then I placed 3 of my 4 fresh new HDD in bays 1,2,3 ok no problems, because they were brand-new untouched drives.
  • The problem came as I inserted the original HDD that was in Bay 1 (HDD1) in to drive bay 4 the last bay..probably because it had a partition on it.
Then the system renamed the NVMe Pool 1, Volume 1 to Pool 2 ,volume 2 - in other words the original HDD1 stayed as dominate Volume 1 but created Pool 3 (which was the last to be inserted and resides in bay 4). Note at this point I had not assigned any RAID for the 4 HDD's

At the moment I am running bad sector checks on each of the new drives before I assigned a pool to the 4 x HDD's and I am toying between TRAID and RAID10, Hotswap resilience is what I am after ?
  • This behaviour obviously is an OS driven factor but now I am going to have to re initialise my NAS build again to have the priority load run up the TOS from the NVMe unless there is another way to rename the NVMe Pool 2 ,Volume 2 to Pool 1, Volume 1...
I deleted the old Volume 1 and Pool 3 that resided on the original HDD sitting in bat 4.

Else I believe the new pool I will create next will have to be set as Pool 3.. Not sure about the Volume behaviour arrangement is though, or if the OS will let me to assign Volume 3 or force a Volume 1.. :-(
  • if so - no more fast fluid OS and navigation hello HDD spin up and lag again!.. If I can't..
  • I know a copy is placed on each drive but do you guys have any newer solutions or thoughts most appreciated to rename the Pool 2 and Volume 2 back to Pool 1, Volume 1 before I re-initiate a rebuild to put TOS back on NVMe to have it assigned as Pool 1, Volume 1 (dominate) ?
Thanks in advance. ;)
F4-423 (24/08/2023)
20GB
2 x M.2 SSD NVMe 500GB 970 EVO Plus
(1 For TOS5 Boot and Apps - 1 For Hyper Cache) with a custom fabricated heatsink (L shaped) to cover both
4 x 1TB IronWolf in TRAID
TOS 5.1.67 + @current
TOS Language - English