TRAID and SSD caching

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Whab

TRAID and SSD caching

Post by Whab »

Hello, I am using 1TB SSD + 4 x 4TB HDD in my new F5-422 NAS. It was automatically configured as a TRAID storage pool with a single BTRFS volume during the initial setup. There is nothing stored yet on this NAS. SSD Cache is apparently disabled and I cannot find a way to enable it (synching has finished, so this is not the issue). So I have 2 questions:

1) Does TRAID support SSD caching?
2) What would be the best way to reconfigure it to take advantage of SSD caching before I actually use this NAS?

Thank you!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: TRAID and SSD caching

Post by TMSupport »

If the SSD has been used to form TRAID, it can no longer be used as SSD cache.
You need to delete volumes and storage pools, and then select 4*4TB HDDs to create TRAID. Then create SSD Cache in the HyperCache module.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Whab

Post by Whab »

Hello, thank you for your quick answer!

It looks like that the capacity of the SSD cache will be only about 1/3 of my 1TB SSD. Does this mean that the 2/3 of the 1TB SSD will become unusable? In that case wouldn’t it be preferable to use a lower capacity SSD, like 512GB, for cache purpose?

Thanks!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Your understanding is correct, you can replace the SSD with a small capacity to create SSD cache.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Whab

Post by Whab »

Hello, I also found out that increasing the memory size of my NAS to 10GB RAM allows to reach a recommended SSD cache capacity of 1000GB (viewtopic.php?f=79&t=3314), i.e the full capacity of my 1TB SSD. It would have been helpful to know this in advance either in the documentation or during the installation (and before selecting the default configuration).

By the way, according to the F5-422 specifications on your website (https://www.terra-master.com/global/pro ... g-nas.html), this NAS system is supposed to have a system memory of 4GB, consisting in a pre-installed memory module of 4GB (1 x 4GB). However, the new F5-422 NAS I just purchased has 2 GB soldered on the motherboard and a memory slot pre-filled by a 2GB module. The specifications published on your website should be corrected because it is obviously false...

I replaced the latter with a 8GB module from Crucial and so far my NAS has no problem with it: the 10GB of RAM are fully recognized and the SSD cache capacity is now 931 GB (probably overkill I know).

Now that I got a 10Gb switch, I will start benchmarking this NAS configuration.
321PeteD

Post by 321PeteD »

Whab wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 17:00
I replaced the latter with a 8GB module from Crucial and so far my NAS has no problem with it: the 10GB of RAM are fully recognized and the SSD cache capacity is now 931 GB (probably overkill I know).
I'm also not sure the best way to config the NVMe hyper cache on my NAS. Documentation for how it works is pretty vague.
Model: F4-210
TOS: 4.2.43
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
1024 MB RAM

Model: F2-423
TOS: 5.1.67-00214
1TB SSD
12TB HDD
16384 MB RAM
Raid 0 - 2x1 TB NVMe Hyper Cache