free space to leave for backup drives

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
robertkwild

free space to leave for backup drives

Post by robertkwild »

hi all,

i have a RAID 6 configuration 4x4tb=8tb and when i do a "df -h" on my esxi server it says it has 7.2TB, is it wise to fill up all of it ie all 7.2TB, wont the disk degrade as is it best to have some free space so it can run more efficiently

thanks,
rob
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: free space to leave for backup drives

Post by TMSupport »

Some storage space needs to be reserved so that the system and applications can run and update normally.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
robertkwild

Post by robertkwild »

hasnt terramaster NAS got its own disk for its OS, wouldnt there be free space there

im talking about the 3.5" drives ive put in for the backups and i assume the terramaster NAS wouldnt be running of the drives ive put in, i assumed it had another disk inside for the OS to run off
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}robertkwild

Because of the base system, the hard disk manufacturer calculates the capacity of the hard disk according to the decimal system of thousands, that is, every thousand is entered into an order of magnitude unit, but the computer is binary, and the binary of every thousand is 1024, which is equivalent to 1000 in decimal. , so the actual capacity of the 8T hard disk is 7.27TB, and the theoretical capacity is 8T.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)