Upgrading from a 2HDD Raid 1 to 3HDD Raid 5 taking forever

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
jbroth61

Upgrading from a 2HDD Raid 1 to 3HDD Raid 5 taking forever

Post by jbroth61 »

Real noob here with NAS stuff and I'm hoping I did this right, I have an F4-210 that I initially installed 2 6TB drives running a Raid 1 (mirrored) and my plan was to get 2 more 6TB drives later and upgrade to a Raid 5. Well about 2 months later (this last week) I got the drives (all 4 drives are identical WD Red 6TB) and installed them. I formatted them the same as the 1st two, all went well and all 4 drives showed good condition so I then selected 'add drive to Raid' and followed the prompts. It only allowed me to install one at a time so I did and it automatically upgraded to a Raid 5 which was my intended goal. But then it started the process and said it was going to take 1000.0 minutes to complete. Uh, wow.

The problem is it really is taking forever and I'm wondering if that's normal, it's been re-configuring for a day now (about 20 hours) and is still only at 29%. I only had 1.64TB of data on the original Raid and now I'm wondering if it's going to take this long (if this is normal) when I add the 4th drive?

Just wondering if this is OK or not. I did backup the Raid before starting this so all is not lost.
Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Upgrading from a 2HDD Raid 1 to 3HDD Raid 5 taking forever

Post by TMroy »

It is normal, do not worry, just wait for it to complete.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jbroth61

Re: Upgrading from a 2HDD Raid 1 to 3HDD Raid 5 taking forever

Post by jbroth61 »

Thanks