Migrate data to upgrade HDD

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
xm41907

Migrate data to upgrade HDD

Post by xm41907 »

I'm running out of space on one of my two F2-221 bays and would like to upgrade from a 4TB drive to a 16TB drive. My second bay is already occupied, so I can't just copy the data over. If I do the upgrade can I put the old one in a USB enclosure and then transfer the data over to the new HDD from there? My suspicion is that I can't because of the file systems Terramaster uses and that I'll need a different HDD to use as an intermediary during the switch.
crisisacting

Re: Migrate data to upgrade HDD

Post by crisisacting »

xm41907 wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 11:03My suspicion is that I can't because of the file systems Terramaster uses and that I'll need a different HDD to use as an intermediary during the switch.
That's right. The external drive support different file systems then the internal ones used by TOS: https://www.terra-master.com/global/f2- ... nu&mid=276

Moving the data onto a large external drive, cloud storage or backing up to another NAS via rsync would be necessary to increase your storage pool or reinitializing your F2-221.

A backup strategy should be in place regardless if it's important data.
xm41907

Re: Migrate data to upgrade HDD

Post by xm41907 »

I've recently been compiling all of my various external hard drives onto my NAS and they took more room than I was anticipating, so everything has a backup already, but in various jumbled drives.