Formatting 3 HDD in raid 5 in a new F5-221

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
iuliug

Formatting 3 HDD in raid 5 in a new F5-221

Post by iuliug »

Hello,

I have 3 Ironwolfs 8 TB in a F5-221 new Nas.

When i install TOS 5 (during install and 3 drives are accepts and i select all) , i can not set up a raid 5 as only 2 drives are available - Drives 1 seems to be un-available - maybe because it is an OS drive who knows...?. I tried deleting volumes and Storages pools - i can not seem to get 3 drives to set up in raid 5.

I installed TOS 4.2. The OS recognizes all 3 HDDS as available and i managed to set up a raid 5 volumes with 14.5 TB available as it should be.

I would still like to upgrade to Tos 5, so if i reset to factory default and intall tos 5 . will my raid 5 be kept or not? Am i stuck with tos 4.2?

Thanks in advance.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: Formatting 3 HDD in raid 5 in a new F5-221

Post by TMzethar »

You need to ensure that the WAN IP of the LAN where TNAS is located is the Internet IPv4 IP, and you need to set port forwarding on the router.
In addition, to cope with the constantly changing Internet IPv4 IP, you need to register a DDNS for it.
However, if you are prompted to create/format a storage pool after reinstallation, please be careful, which will clean up the data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
iuliug

Post by iuliug »

Hi,

Thanks. The Nas is in my home network. Every time i installed the TOS (did that several times) it always had the same IP.

I have no data on the raid - i am not migrating it until I managed to get raid 5 working on TOS 5 hopefully.

I will wait for more answers here until i attempt a TOS 5 install on the raid - my issue is if the factory reset will deleted my raid 5.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}iuliug

Your raid5 can be used on TOS5 as a whole and will not be deleted.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
iuliug

Post by iuliug »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMzethar

So if i factory reset my current TOS 4.2 that has raid 5 with all 3 HDDs, i can install TOOS 5 on my raid 5? I am just double checking. Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Yes.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
iuliug

Post by iuliug »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

Hi. Thanks.

I have Factory reset and installed latest TOS 5 - The date that i had there (for testing purposes) was not affected and the Storage pool is there with 3 HDD and 14.5 TB available.
However, in TOS 4.2 it was labeled raid 5 , now it is labeled TRAID. I would rather use raid 5 only. Is there anything i can do to change it? Thanks.
iuliug

Post by iuliug »

Is there?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Please delete the volume and storage pool. and then create the new storage pool. Remember to select RAID 5 as the Raid mode.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
iuliug

Post by iuliug »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

If you read the first post i made, My issue was that TOS 5 was not recognizing 3 HDDs, only 2, this is why i had to make the raid 5 in tos 4.2.

Why did TOS 5 change my raid 5 into Traid? Is that a so called "feature" or a bug?

If i attempt are Storage pool delete and maybe 3 hdd are recognized now , can you confirm that raid 5 is an option?

Why cant i change the raid now? Also why is the Edit button greyed on on the storage poll?

I look forward to your answers to all my questions. Thanks.