Unable to add new drive to Storage Pool (F5-221)

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
AlphaZero6ix

Unable to add new drive to Storage Pool (F5-221)

Post by AlphaZero6ix »

Currently have 3x 12TB drives in a TRAID Storage Pool.

Trying to add 2x 18TB HD to this pool, one at a time.

When selecting HDD4 to add, and pressing Confirm, the system takes about 3-4 seconds, and says Configuration Saved, but nothing has happened.

What am I doing wrong?
Kegger163

Re: Unable to add new drive to Storage Pool (F5-221)

Post by Kegger163 »

Hey AlphaZero. I have had the exact same issue with to 8TB then trying to add a 12TB as a third drive using TRAID. Raid 5 has worked, and it recognizes the drive, however, would rather use TRAID if possible.

If anyone has a fix for this let me know.
AlphaZero6ix

Re: Unable to add new drive to Storage Pool (F5-221)

Post by AlphaZero6ix »

Kegger163 wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 22:43 Hey AlphaZero. I have had the exact same issue with to 8TB then trying to add a 12TB as a third drive using TRAID. Raid 5 has worked, and it recognizes the drive, however, would rather use TRAID if possible.

If anyone has a fix for this let me know.
I opened a support ticket thru email and described the same problem to them as my original post.

They asked for my /var/log/messages file and /var/log/tos/access.log files for troubleshooting.

Their claim for this issue was :
This is because TOS5 can inherit the storage of TOS4, but it is not fully compatible. We are working on ways to optimize compatibility.
We set up a session for them to access my system via TeamViewer. Since I'm not 100% proficient with mdadm and partitioning commands myself to troubleshoot it, I'd much rather have them do it.

From what I observed during the session, they cleared out the superblocks (mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/xxxx) on the new drives, deleted the partitions on the new drives using the parted utility, and recreated the partition sizes to match the partition sizes of the current drives in my Storage Pool.

If you're familiar with this, then you can theoretically do it yourself, but since this is TRAID, rather than a conventional RAID5, I didn't want to mess anything up.

So that's what I would suggest. Open a ticket to support@terra-master.com and take it from there.