Adding new drives to Raid 6 or change the raid

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
clubsceneuk2

Adding new drives to Raid 6 or change the raid

Post by clubsceneuk2 »

As the topic suggests I have 5 3tb HDDs in my nas configured for Raid 6. I would like to do one of 2 things.
Either update the HDDS for 6 or 8tb drives or downgrade the raid.

If i choose to upgrade the drives, is there a process? I have searched online for videos etc but nothing.
If i choose to change the raid can this be done or would i have to delete the current raid and start again.

One last question is the hot spare option. I used to own a drobo and this has the JBOD option which was brilliant. Im very tempted to go back down this path and have the 5th disc as a hot spare. Does anyone use this and if so what are your thoughts.

For general information, all of the data is backed up on to a separate external HDD every 3 weeks so that no data is lost should there be an issue so if i have to start again then there is no real issue in flattening the raid and restoring the files.

Look forward to hearing back from you.
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Re: Adding new drives to Raid 6 or change the raid

Post by TMnorah »

You can expand your array according to the following instructions.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1543

If you want to replace the array, you need to delete the volume and storage pool.
The data contained in the hard disk will be completely cleared, and then you can recreate the array.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Adding new drives to Raid 6 or change the raid

Post by TMroy »

If your meaning of change raid is raid migration, then please refer to viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1544
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)